History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block and Stable Cottage Approximately 40 to North West of Sansaw

A Grade II Listed Building in Clive, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8042 / 52°48'15"N

Longitude: -2.7296 / 2°43'46"W

OS Eastings: 350909

OS Northings: 323210

OS Grid: SJ509232

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.WHG9

Mapcode Global: WH8B8.1SG3

Entry Name: Stable Block and Stable Cottage Approximately 40 to North West of Sansaw

Listing Date: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055418

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260003

Location: Clive, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clive

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clive All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Myddle

Listing Text

SJ 5023-5123 CLIVE C.P. -

16/10 Stable block and
- stable cottage
approx. 40 metres
to north-west of
Sansaw

GV II

Stable block. Circa 1888. Red brick with brown brick bands and grey
Grinshill sandstone dressings; hipped slate roof. U-plan with walls
enclosing courtyard to north; Hybrid Tudor Gothic/Queen Anne Revival
style. One storey and loft with attached 2-storey cottage. South front:
chamfered brick plinth, moulded string course, frieze and moulded cornice,
and brick ridge stack off-centre to left with toothed cap. Central
octagonal wooden cupola on lead-sheathed base, with keyed round arches,
moulded cornice and ogee lead dome with weathervane. 1:1:1 bays. Central
break consisting of roll-moulded Tudor archway with 2 wrought-iron gates,
flanking wide pilaster strips with channelled rustication and moulded
plinths, and large triangular pediment above with cornice broken back below
and clock with keyed moulded architrave in tympanum. Moulded-brick
Tudor-arched small-paned wooden cross windows to left and right of centre
with hoodmoulds. Rear with 4 circular pitching eyes, 2 pairs of windows
and toothed brick eaves cornice. Eastern (coach house) range: 2 brick
ridge stacks. 5 first-floor 3-light segmental-headed windows and 3
pairs of large boarded doors with strap hinges, Tudor arches and hoodmoulds.
Western range: 2 brick ridge stacks and 2 gabled semi-dormers. Interior
of ground-floor stables contain complete wooden stalls with quarter-
round moulded posts and beams. House adjoining to right with triangular
pedimented gable to front. Doorway with moulded arch and keystone and
pedimented gabled projection with canted bay at rear. Brick walls closing
off north side of courtyard including pair of square gate piers, each
with vermiculated rustication, chamfered plinth, and cap with globe
finial. This stable block was probably built as part of the alterations
and improvements to Sansaw (q.v.) and the estate c.1888. Included for
group value.


Listing NGR: SJ5090923210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.