This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8068 / 52°48'24"N
Longitude: -2.7129 / 2°42'46"W
OS Eastings: 352042
OS Northings: 323486
OS Grid: SJ520234
Mapcode National: GBR 7K.W7JN
Mapcode Global: WH8B8.9QD3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260017
Location: Grinshill, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Grinshill
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Grinshill All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5223/5323 GRINSHILL C.P. GRINSHILL
17/23 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1839-40, by John Carline junior. (1792-1862). Red
Grinshill sandstone ashlar with slate roof. 6-bay nave and chancel
in one with small west tower. Neo-Norman. Chamfered plinth, pilaster
strips dividing bays, projecting corbel table with shaped corbels, and
high coped parapeted gable ends with carved grotesques at feet and cross
on apex to east. Round-arches south windows with cill string, yellow
sandstone nook shafts with moulded bases and bell capitals, impost
blocks and returned hoodmoulds. South doorway in second bay from west
with moulded round arch, 2 orders of shafts with moulded bases and
cushion capitals, returned hoodmould, and slightly projecting gable above
with weathering and pair of small flanking moulded round-arched recesses;
pair of boarded doors with strap hinges. North side with simply moulded
windows only. East end with flanking pilaster buttresses and stepped
triple chamfered lancets with chamfered cill. West end with tall round-
arched window to left. West tower: rectangular plan. Two stages with
set-back to belfry, corbelled plain parapet, and weathervane. Louvred
round-arched belfry openings, 2-light on long sides with quatrefoil
plate tracery and central shaft with moulded base and cushion capital.
Ground-floor chamfered rectangular window to west. Clock below belfry
opening to south. C20 lean-to vestry in angle of tower and nave to
north. Interior: collar and tie-beam roof trusses with queen posts.
Doors in round arch at base of tower, giving access to clock mechanism
and to belfry. Early C19 raised and fielded wainscot panelling.
Other fittings mainly late C19 including Gothic reredos, wrought iron
altar rails, chancel screen carved by 6 parishioners and presented in
1898 in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, pulpit carved
and given by Mrs Elizabeth Wright in 1900, pews with carved traceried
panels, font given in 1889 with marble stem and circular bowl with
trefoil panels, and organ with painted pipes. Late C19 stained glass in
east window and some fragments of possibly C18 painted glass in south
windows; mainly plain diamond-leaded glass. A few early C19 memorial
tablets. Grinshill was a chapelry of Shawbury in 1130 and was an
independent church by the C17. It has been suggested (Cranage) that
some C17 or C18 remains survive at the base of the tower. D.H.S. Cranage,
An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury
Churches, p. 856; B.o.E, p. 134; Colvin, p. 188.
Listing NGR: SJ5204223486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings