This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8059 / 52°48'21"N
Longitude: -2.7057 / 2°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 352520
OS Northings: 323385
OS Grid: SJ525233
Mapcode National: GBR 7K.W986
Mapcode Global: WH8B8.DQSS
Entry Name: Stone Grange
Listing Date: 28 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260023
Location: Grinshill, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Grinshill
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Grinshill All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5223-5323 GRINSHILL C.P. GRINSHILL
17/29 Stone Grange
School, now house. Dated 1631, but possibly slightly earlier, for
Shrewsbury School, with mid-to-late C19 alterations and additions.
Yellow/grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar; machine tile roof.
2 storeys and attic over basement to left. Chamfered plinth, moulded
string course, parapeted gable ends with coping, and 2 gabled dormers
to front with 2-light wooden casements. 4 integral stone corner stacks
with C19 cornices and shafts and central lateral stone stack at rear.
Double-chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows, first floor of
3:2:3:2:3 lights and ground floor of 4:4:2:4 lights; 2 blocked 2-light
basement windows to left. C19 stone porches between first and second
and third and fourth windows, that to right larger; each with boarded
door, flanking Doric pilaster strips supporting sections of frieze and
full cornice, parapet (battlemented to sides) with globe finials at
corners and stepped raised centre with gabled top, and chamfered lancets
in returns; left-hand porch with carved shield dated : "AD/1631"
above the door and right-hand with carved shield too. Nail-studded
boarded doors behind porch with chamfered reveals, that to left probably
C17 with strap hinges and blocked overlight. Right-hand return front:
pairs of first-floor and attic 4-light windows, those on first floor
with dripmoulds, and 2 ground-floor 3-light windows. Left-hand return
front: pairs of first-floor and attic 4-light windows, those on first
floor with dripmoulds; 2 ground-floor 3-light windows flanking small
central one-light window, with string course stepped-up over all 3 as
hoodmould; 3 blocked basement windows. Rear: 4 first-floor 3-light
windows, ground-floor cross window off-centre to left and former 3-
light window off-centre to right cut down in late C20 to form French
casements with string course stepped up over as hoodmould. Later
gabled service wing to south-west. Interior: heavily-built ceiling
frames with large chamfered and stopped beams . Mutilated C17 chamfered
Tudor-arched stone fireplace in right-hand ground-floor room at rear and C17
fireplace with chamfered reveals and moulded lintel in left-hand ground-floor
rear room. Heavily-built square-panelled timber framed internal
partition walls;blocked doorway between left-hand ground-floor corridor
and left-hand room and chamfered doorway in left-hand rear bedroom.
7-bay roof; collar and tie-beam trusses with raking struts; pairs of
purlins with wind braces. Stone Grange was bought or built by
Shrewsbury School in 1617 as a refuge from the plague. The justification
for the 1631 date on one of the C19 porches is not known but part of
the school buildings in Shrewsbury date from 1627-30. Possibly the land
was bought in 1617 and the present building erected a few years later.
The present C19 porches possibly mark the former division between masters
and pupils; each door leads onto a corridor to either side of a central
hall with smaller rooms to the outside. Apart from the porches the
late C19 alterations also entailed some refenestration including the
enlargement of the outer ground-floor windows from small high-up 2-
light casements (C19 windows cut through C17 plinth), and the insertion
of the second first-floor window from the right with the blocking of a
former mezzanine staircase window below it. A late C18 or early C19 print
(a copy is kept in the house at time of survey - December 1985) shows the
former arrangement. There is much schoolboy carved graffiti on the left-
hand gable end wall including the date "1886" and some that appears earlier.
(illegible at time of survey).
Listing NGR: SJ5252023385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings