History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Frodesley Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frodesley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5942 / 52°35'39"N

Longitude: -2.7126 / 2°42'45"W

OS Eastings: 351827

OS Northings: 299842

OS Grid: SO518998

Mapcode National: GBR BL.9LVQ

Mapcode Global: WH8CF.92K0

Entry Name: Frodesley Lodge

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259774

Location: Frodesley, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Frodesley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Frodesley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Frodesley

Listing Text

FRODESLEY C.P. -
SJ 59 NW
9/117 Frodesley Lodge
29.1. 52
- II*
Hunting lodge, now small country house. Circa 1590, possibly for
Edward Scriven,with an addition of c.1750. Squared and coursed grey
sandstone with grey sandstone ashlar dressings and facing to north
and west of C18 block; plain tile roofs. T-plan with C18 addition
to west. 2 and 3 storeys and attic; site falls to north.
Chamfered plinth and coped parapeted gables; gabled full eaves
dormer to west of C17 block with blocked double-chamfered window
and datestone (illegible at time of survey - April 1985); external
brick lateral stack to north-east with 2 star-shaped shafts, and
external stone end stack to west of C17 block with C20 brick shaft.
South front: 1:1 windows with gabled cross-wing to left; 3-light
double-chamfered stone mullioned windows, 2-light to attic; 2-storey
lean-to porch in angle of cross-wing, probably C17 or C18 remodelled
in late C19, with verge parapet, C20 first-floor window, open ground
floor with chamfered depressed arches, and octagonal corner pier and
half-piers with chamfered bases; C17 nail-studded boarded door with
strap hinges, spiked top, and old lock. Rear: 4-storey, roughly
semi-circular stair tower in angle of cross-wing with 2-light windows,
coped parapet , and gabled C17 red brick stair loft. Mid-to late
C19 round-arched first-floor window to cross-wing with French case-
ments. C18 block, north front: moulded plinth, plat bands at
lintel level to north and west, coped parapeted gable ends, and
large external stone end stack to south with chamfered offsets and
brick top stage. 2 bays, C19 two-light wooden casements in C18
openings with moulded cills and keyed lintels, right-hand windows
blocked; central attic window in gable above with moulded cill and
segmental pediment, and blocked with red brick; right-hand return
front with 3-light round-arched first-floor window and 2 ground-floor
wooden cross casements with keyed lintels, that to right probably
replacing a door (see straight joints in plinth). Interior: C17
roof with curved principals and timber framed partition wall; C17
part with chamfered stone arched fireplaces (including attic); C17
panelling with moulded cornices; C18 plain and bolection-moulded
panelling; panelled window seats; barred windows C17 boarded doors
C18 panelled doors; C17 wall cupboard with H-hinges in bedroom;
circular stone staircase; chamfered beams in kitchen (ground floor
to north); room above porch with C18 panelling, moulded cornice, and
shaped corner shelves; blocked 2-light stone mullioned windows in
west wall of C17 block; first-floor room in C18 block with C18
eight-panelled door, and C18 fireplace with plain surround and ceramic
tiles flanking C18 cast iron gate. Some of the panelling seems to
have been re-ordered. It is said that some panelling was removed to
Acton Burnell Hall (q.v.) after it was gutted by fire in 1914. The
house was first mentioned c.1675 when it was occupied by Sir Richard
Corbett during the rebuilding of Longnor Hall. The ashlar wing was
added in c.1750 for Godolphin Edwards. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 81;
B.O.E., p. 132; Michael Moulder, Shropshire - A Shell Guide, Faber
and Faber (1972), p. 77. H.E. Forrest F.L.S., some Old Shropshire
Houses and their Owners, 1924, p p. 89-9.

Listing NGR: SO5182799842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.