History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Principal's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Acton Burnell, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6137 / 52°36'49"N

Longitude: -2.6918 / 2°41'30"W

OS Eastings: 353253

OS Northings: 301996

OS Grid: SJ532019

Mapcode National: GBR BL.8KYS

Mapcode Global: WH8C7.MKDM

Entry Name: The Principal's House

Listing Date: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259658

Location: Acton Burnell, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Acton Burnell

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Acton Burnell

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Frodesley

Listing Text

ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL
SJ 50 SW
6/6 The Principal's House
- (formerly listed as The
Old Rectory)
GV II

Rectory, now house. Dated 1714 with early C19 alterations. Red brick on red
and grey sandstone rubble plinth; slate roofs. L-plan. 2 storeys and gable-
lit attic. Plat band to right-hand part, and parapeted gables with returned
stone copings; large brick ridge stack off-centre to left and integral brick
end stack to right. Right-hand part of 4 bays; glazing bar sashes with exposed
boxes, 2 ground floor windows to right have been altered (see straight joints)
probably in the late C18 or early C19 to form a segmental-headed tripartite
glazing bar sash with red sandstone keystone; 4-panelled door in second bay
from left with panelled reveals and moulded architrace, and mid-C19 painted brick
porch with panels flanking round arch, and moulded cornice to blocking course.
Gabled wing projecting at right-angles to left, altered in early C19 (see
straight joint); segmental-headed attic glazing bar sash with exposed box, and
possibly late C19 or early C20 2-storey canted bay on brick plinth with
channelled rusticated bottom panels, and wooden dentil eaves cornice to flat
top; glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves, lugged on first floor to
centre and on ground floor to sides, and that in centre on ground floor with
section of moulded cornice above; horned tripartite glazing bar sash in right-
hand return front. Datestone in right-hand gable end: "PS/1714". Interior:
early C19 staircase with stick balusters and moulded wreathed handrail with
columnular newel.

Listing NGR: SJ5325301996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.