History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Berrington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6568 / 52°39'24"N

Longitude: -2.6956 / 2°41'44"W

OS Eastings: 353041

OS Northings: 306795

OS Grid: SJ530067

Mapcode National: GBR BL.5R1R

Mapcode Global: WH8C1.KHK1

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055585

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259698

Location: Berrington, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Berrington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Berrington with Betton Strange

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Pitchford

Listing Text

BERRINGTON C.P. BERRINGTON
SJ 5206-5306
11/45
- Manor Farmhouse
GV
II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1658 with probably late C17 addition, partly refaced
or rebuilt and extended in the early and the mid-C19. Timber framed
with rendered infill panels on coursed red sandstone rubble and red
brick plinth, rendered at rear of cross-wing; partial red brick refacing
or rebuilding and additions; stone slate roof with laced valleys, and
plain tile roof. Baffle-entry plan; hall range of one framed bay with
gabled cross-wing to left of 2 framed bays and probably later projecting
cross-wing to right which is also of 2 framed bays; later infill at rear.
2 storeys and 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, jettied first floor and
gables with moulded bressumers and shaped brackets; dentil brick eaves
cornice to right-hand return front; plain barge boards with finials;
central jettied full dormer with coving, square panel framing, jettied
gable with moulded bressumer and carved brackets, and 3-light metal
casement; cruciform brick-ridge stack off-centre to left with pilaster
shafting and oversailing top, right-hand cross-wing with brick ridge stack
consisting of 2 star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops, external brick
end stack to rear, and stack in valley at rear. Framing: square
panels, 6 from sole-plate to wall-plate in 1658 range and 5 in late C17
range with curved brace; collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts
and curved V-struts. 3-window front; mid-to late C19 two-,3-and 4-light
wooden casements with transoms; close studding beneath central ground-
floor window and 2 blank round arches with impost mouldings and pendant
finials beneath central first-floor window; entrance to right of window
in left-hand cross-wing has C17 nailed door with strap hinges and
moulded surround with ogee stops; recessed porch with side-benches, and
entrance with moulded surround and dated above : A P
AB MB RB 1658
2-window left-hand return front with rendered plinth, and one-storey wash
house to left with boarded door and 2-light casement. Right-hand return
front: 3 bays; first-floor 2- and 3-light mid-to late C19 wooden
casements with transoms, and 2 ground-floor canted flat-roofed brick bays
with tripartite glazing bar sashes; 4 steps up to central half-glazed
flush-panelled door with panelled pilastered surround and lead-covered
flat-roofed porch with chamfered tapered posts, arch-bracing, and frieze
and moulded cornice. Right-hand part of elevation set back. Interior:
chamfered beams and wall-plates, and plain joists in central ground-floor
room; C17 staircase up from entrance lobby; large C17 open kitchen
fireplace with chamfered lintel; large C17 open fireplace in central
ground-floor room with early C19 surround, fine early C19 cast iron
range with fluted and other decoration, and early C19 spit rack above;
some C17 wainscot panelling; right-hand cross-wing has early C19
fittings including 4-panelled doors, internal window shutters, and
staircase with closed string, stick balusters, and moulded handrail with column-
ular newel post. The right-hand cross-wing appears to be late Cl7 but further
investigation might reveal it to be of an earlier date. This is a
particularly well-preserved and fine example of a C17 farmhouse
retaining much of its character internally as well as externally, and
also forms an important part of the group around the Church of All Saints
(q.v.). V.C.H. Vol.VIII, p p.13-27, B.O.E. p. 73.


Listing NGR: SJ5304106796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.