History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Gates and Gate Piers Approximately 20 Metres to East of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Longnor, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5999 / 52°35'59"N

Longitude: -2.7568 / 2°45'24"W

OS Eastings: 348835

OS Northings: 300502

OS Grid: SJ488005

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.97Z5

Mapcode Global: WH8C6.MXF7

Entry Name: Churchyard Gates and Gate Piers Approximately 20 Metres to East of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055589

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259605

Location: Longnor, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Longnor

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Longnor

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dorrington

Listing Text


SJ 4800-4900 LONGNOR C.P. LONGNOR

9/64 Churchyard gates and gate
- piers approx. 20 metres
to east of Church of
St. Mary

GV II

Churchyard gates and gate piers. Early C18 gate piers and gates of
c.1934. Square grey sandstone ashlar piers with plinths, chamfered
rustication and cyma-recta moulded cornices to flat tops. Pair of cast
iron gates with dog bars and dog rails, top rail with remains of plate
lettering, and alternate bars projecting above with urn finials. Cast
plate on right-hand pier superscribed: "THESE GATES/WERE F'RESENTED TO/
MAJOR E.R.T. CORBETT M.B.E./BY MEMBERS OF/THE SHROPSHIRE I: WEST MIDLANDS/
AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY/AS A TOKEN OF THEIR APPRECIATION/OF HIS SERVICES
TO/THE SOCIETY/ANNO MDCDXXXIV". Cast plate on left-hand pier, superscribed:
"THE MEMBERS AND OFFICERS OF/THE ATCHAM/RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL/PLANTED
THE GROUP OF OAK TREES/N.W. CORNER OF PARK TO EXPRESS/THEIR AFFECTION
AND GRATITUDE TO/MAJOR E.R.T. CORBETT, M.B.E./THEIR CHAIRMAN FROM/1920
to 1939". The gate piers are similar to two sets of piers to the north
of Longnor Hall (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ4883500501

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.