History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Smethcott, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6038 / 52°36'13"N

Longitude: -2.8036 / 2°48'12"W

OS Eastings: 345675

OS Northings: 300976

OS Grid: SJ456009

Mapcode National: GBR BG.92GH

Mapcode Global: WH8C5.XT46

Entry Name: New Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259620

Location: Smethcott, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Smethcott

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Smethcote St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dorrington

Listing Text


SJ 40 SE SMETHCOTT C.P. -

2/79 New Hall Farmhouse
-

GV II

Farmhouse. Early to mid-C16 and c.1600, rebuilt and remodelled in the
early and mid-C19. Timber framed with painted brick nogging, partly
rebuilt in red brick; plain tile roof. L-plan; two early to mid-C16
framed bays aligned approximately east-west with c.1600 two-bay wing
at right angles to east. Framing: closely-spaced uprights; partly with
middle rail. East front: external brick end stack,to right and brick
ridge stack on wing to rear. 3 windows; 2- and 3-light late C19 wooden
casements with tumbled brick heads; central C20 half-glazed door with
4-part rectangular overlight and brick porch with stone-coped parapeted
gable. Blocked gabled brick porch in left-hand return front. Gabled
timber framed block in angle at rear. Interior: chamfered beams and
joists in rear wing; remains of former external oriel window visible
in bathroom with moulded wooden cill and carved scroll bracket. New
Hall Farm is first mentioned in 1583. From that date until 1662 it was
occupied by the Phillips family, lords of part of Smethcott manor. The
farmhouse forms part of a complete farmstead group also including a large
barn (q.v.). V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.150.


Listing NGR: SJ4567500976

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.