This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5735 / 52°34'24"N
Longitude: -2.7183 / 2°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 351419
OS Northings: 297544
OS Grid: SO514975
Mapcode National: GBR BK.BZDN
Mapcode Global: WH8CF.6KVX
Entry Name: Chatwall Hall
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259572
Location: Cardington, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Cardington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cardington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 59 NW; 5/31
Farmhouse. Mid-Cl7 with c.1700 alterations and c.1899 additions.
Dressed Hoar Edge Grit sandstone with C20 plain tile roof. Irregular
plan. Two storeys and attic. Three gables to front, left-hand projecting;
chamfered plinth, large pebble-dashed external stack in front of right-
hand gable with tiled set back to brick shaft and external lateral
stone stack at rear with brick shaft. 2-window front; C17 three-light
double-chamfered mullioned stone windows and 2-light attic windows,
that to left minus mullion but with Shrewsbury arms in roundel above.
Small blocked double-chamfered window in right-hand return of wing;
centre has first-floor window with moulded cornice and two ground-
floor c.1700 two-light windows with flat-faced mullions, that to right
with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Probably c.1700 one-storey
dressed sandstone porch to right with moulded plinth and cornice, and
flat roof, replacing former mono pitch; C19 Tudor-arched nail-studded
boarded door with bolection-moulded surround and pulvinated frieze,
and small double-chamfered stone window in left-hand return front.
Introduced (probably replica) lead rainwater head between right-hand
gable lettered: "AD/1620". Two C19 gabled wings at rear (see straight
joint in right-hand end wall). INTERIOR: central ground-floor room
has panelling dated: R S and lettered R C with fluted frieze, large
corner fireplace with chamfered lintel, carved frieze and C18 raised
and fielded panelled overmantel, the centre panel with a shaped top,
and chamfered ceiling beam with plain and ogee stops. Right-hand
ground-floor room has fireplace with chamfered dressed sandstone reveals
and chamfered wooden lintel with mason's mitre. Ogee-stopped chamfered
cross-beamed ceiling also with chamfered joists. Left-hand first-
floor room with corner fireplace. Timber-framed cross walls; left-
hand wing has collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and v-struts.
Gable end of right-hand wing is timber framed with square panels, angle
braces, and cambered tie-beam truss with queen struts and v-struts.
The right-hand gable formerly projected with a timber framed wing.
This probably explains its unfinished look and the large external stack.
B.0.E., p.95. - -
Listing NGR: SO5141997544
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings