History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontesbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6685 / 52°40'6"N

Longitude: -2.8536 / 2°51'12"W

OS Eastings: 342374

OS Northings: 308202

OS Grid: SJ423082

Mapcode National: GBR BD.4VJK

Mapcode Global: WH8BZ.46F4

Entry Name: Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055630

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259500

Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pontesbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Pontesbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Halston

Listing Text

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. LEA CROSS

4/196 Church of St Anne
-

- II

Proprietary church. 1888 by J.L. Randall of Shrewsbury. Red brick with
ashlar and painted brick dressings, machine tile roofs. Nave, chancel,
central tower and north lean-to transept; west baptistery with adjoining
north porch and south vestry; Byzantine Gothic style. Tower: in 3 stages
with tall pyramidal roof, modillioned and corbelled eaves cornice; 3
prominent gabled lucarnes with chimney stack to east, 3 plain lancets to
belfry on north and south and lean-to transept between stepped buttresses
below a row of 5 lancers on north. Buttressed nave in 2 bays with 2 lancets
to west bay and 3 to east (north side); lean-to baptistery at west end with
apsidal projection under conical roof, gabled porch and vestry attached to
north and south respectively with large rose window above. Short chancel
with blind north and south walls and an east window of 5 Gothic lights,
dentilled eaves cornice. Interior: arch-braced collar beam roof to nave
and panelled roof to chancel; at the west end a stone arcade supported on
marble pillars separates the baptistery, containing a marble font, from the
body of the church; elaborately carved marble pulpit and in the chancel
the large altar tomb of Mrs Anne Hawkes (died 1882), mother of the founder,
S.J. Hawkes, rector of the second portion of Pontesbury parish. V.C.H. VIII
(1968), Pp. 284, 290.


Listing NGR: SJ4237408202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.