History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Ruthen

A Grade II Listed Building in Longden, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6524 / 52°39'8"N

Longitude: -2.8271 / 2°49'37"W

OS Eastings: 344142

OS Northings: 306396

OS Grid: SJ441063

Mapcode National: GBR BF.5W3Q

Mapcode Global: WH8BZ.JLZG

Entry Name: Church of St Ruthen

Listing Date: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259504

Location: Longden, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Longden

Built-Up Area: Longden

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Longden and Annscroft

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Halston

Listing Text

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. LONGDEN

4/200 Church of St Ruthen
-

- II

Parochial chapel, now parish church. Partly medieval or C16 fabric, re-
built in C17 and C18 and drastically restored in 1877. Mainly uncoursed
yellow and red sandstone rubble to nave north and south walls with chamfered
plinth, stepped at east end; west wall in late C18 reddish-brown brick and
red brick chancel with stone dressings; machine tile roofs. Nave and
polygonal chancel; west porch and vestry and lean-to brick shed on north
side. Nave in 3 bays; windows all late C19 paired lancets with circular
openings above, except the west window (also c.1877) which has 2 cusped
square-headed lights; blocked south door with massive 4-centred arch
probably late C16; C20 wooden bell-turret at west end above late C19 red
brick gabled porch and vestry with a blocked door formerly leading to now-
dismantled organ gallery to right; contemporary lean-to on north. Late
C19 polygonal chancel on site of a C18 chancel with flat-headed windows
(c.1938) on north and south and east window in Decorated style with 3 cusped
lights. Interior: good C17 roof in 4 bays with double-purlins and cambered
tie beams and collars, although only the central truss is unaltered; late
C17 panelled pulpit and early C19 font with marble bowl and baluster-shaped
shaft, originally in the Church of St George, Pontesbury (q.v.), but trans-
ferred to Longden in 1864. The chapel was probably originally founded as
the private chapel of the barons of Longden. B.o.E., p.172; V.C.H. VIII
(1968), Pp.290-91; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6
(1903), p.530.


Listing NGR: SJ4414206396

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.