History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cruckmeole Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pontesbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6808 / 52°40'50"N

Longitude: -2.8443 / 2°50'39"W

OS Eastings: 343019

OS Northings: 309563

OS Grid: SJ430095

Mapcode National: GBR BD.44G6

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.8WV7

Entry Name: Cruckmeole Old Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 10 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055662

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259478

Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pontesbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Great Hanwood

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Great Hanwood

Listing Text

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. CRUCKMEOLE

4/175 Cruckmeole Old Hall
- (formerly listed as
Old Hall No.1, No.2,
29.1.52 No.3, No.4)

GV II*

Manor house, latterly divided into 4 cottages, now one house. Late C16 with
later additions and alterations. Timber framed with plaster infill, plain
tile roofs. Original plan a hall of 2 1/2 bays with 4-bay cross-wing to left and
projecting 2-storey entrance porch in angle between; early C17 additions at
right-angles to rear on right. 2 storeys and attics; framing: small square
panels, 4 from cill to wall-plate on cross-wing, long and short straight tension
braces, the rear gable has herringbone decoration above the tie beam with upper
and lower collars; front gable in imitation late C20; scattered fenestration;
blocked openings of original ground-floor 4-light mullion windows to cross-wing
(long side) and gable of early C17 addition with position of 3-light window
above on gable; present windows all late C19 and C20 casements, 2 on ground
and first floor of front gable of cross-wing with attic window above, one on
each floor to gabled entrance porch with small original light to jettied attic
above and one to each floor in hall to right; prominent axial brick ridge
stack in line with porch which also has a later external lateral stack to
right; tall external lateral stack to cross-wing (long side) built of narrow
red bricks on sandstone ashlar base with angle quoins, 6-panel door immediately
to right marks position of cross-passage. Interior: hall has square oak
panelling in room to left of stack which also has a stone fireplace dated
1588 on bottom of jamb; back room of cross-wing has double-sided panelling
(former screen) and a flat-arched ashlar fireplace with moulded overmantel;
traces of wall painting by 6-panel door to right; timber frame exposed
upstairs and chamfered beams and joists with ogee stops throught. V.C.H. VIII
(1968),p.259.


Listing NGR: SJ4301909563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.