This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6861 / 52°41'9"N
Longitude: -2.8457 / 2°50'44"W
OS Eastings: 342932
OS Northings: 310156
OS Grid: SJ429101
Mapcode National: GBR BD.3XSY
Mapcode Global: WH8BS.8R54
Entry Name: Cruckton Hall
Listing Date: 10 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055663
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259480
Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Pontesbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Great Hanwood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 41 SW PONTESBURY C.P. CRUCKTON
1/177 Cruckton Hall
Small country house, now school. Mainly c.1770, with later additions and
alterations, principally of mid-to late C19, but incorporating parts of an
earlier house. Red brick with ashlar dressings, slate roofs and brick ridge
stacks. Symmetrical plan with 2 projecting 2-bay cross-wings to north. 3
storeys; continuous brick floor band to first floor and a moulded stone
string course to second; stone parapet to top carried up around low pediments
to centre and cross-wings; 2:1:3:1:2 windows, the central 3 bays slightly
projecting, all flush-framed glazing bar sashes with segmental heads; central
entrance with sandstone Doric porch (c.1900) and half-glazed double doors;
C18 lead downpipe in angle between left-hand wing and main range. Kitchen
range to right probably c.1800 and lofty, single-storey billiard room with
slate roof and bracketed eaves cornice to left, c.1900. Garden front
considerably altered, the dominant feature being a prominent 2-storeyed
canted bay added c.1812 with tall 18-paned glazing bar sash to ground floor.
Interior: considerably altered but early C17 chamfered ceiling beams on ground
floor of west wing are part of earlier house; disfigured late C18 staircase
on south side and on first floor of c.1812 addition a fine plaster ceiling
with hunting horn as central motif. The house is said to have been 'almost
new built' by Edward Harries in 1770s. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.259.
Listing NGR: SJ4293210156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings