History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House with Integeral Orangery

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9419 / 50°56'30"N

Longitude: -2.6331 / 2°37'59"W

OS Eastings: 355615

OS Northings: 116020

OS Grid: ST556160

Mapcode National: GBR MP.NSVW

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.B0D

Entry Name: Church House with Integeral Orangery

Listing Date: 19 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261344

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

5/7 Church House with integral
orangery

19.3.51

GV II*

Town House, now offices. Circa 1770, Red Brick with Ham stone dressings; Welsh
slated roof between coped gables, each termimating in brick chimney stacks.
2-storeys, attic and basement, 5-bay main facade with high plinth with 4-plain
basement windows in plain surrounds: rusticated quoins, no string course: strong
dentilled cornice with brick parapet crowned by stone urns at corners. central
entrance, up segmental sweep of 6 steps, with 6-panel door, the upper 2-panels
glazed with margined lights - no fanlight, stone architrave with keystone: above
a dentilled pediment on bold console brackets. All windows have 12-pane sashes -
first floor square panes, ground floor slightly elongated - set in architraves
with central keystones: centre window first floor has segmental head with
Gibbsian surround. In centre of roof 2-light timber dormer window behind parapet
with pedimented roof. On left-hand side the single storey orangery, not much
later than main house, of brick with Welsh slate hipped roof behind parapet.
Arcade of 4 semi-circular arched french windows, with recessed panels above each
window, below stone cornice and parapet. Internally, the left-hand room on
ground floor has good cornice, and possibly the original marble fireplace: the
right-hand room has lost its cornice but has another early marble fireplace and
a niche. The staircase seems to be mostly original work. To rear of building an
arched doorway and door, possibly C17, and some stone windows with leading, one
cruciform in pattern. On north side a 2-storey extension in local stone - of
uncertain date, this and another building on site were damaged by enemy action
cl940. Also on the same site 2 coach houses, (q.v.). Probably the finest
remaining town house in Yeovil, this house has played a prominent part in the
town's legal affairs, being the home of the Batten Family Solicitors since C18:
the Town Courts Mere held in the north annexe until about 20 years ago: during a
considerable part of the early C20 the principal resident solicitor was also
Town Clerk.


Listing NGR: ST5561716012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.