History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Johns Schoolrooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9422 / 50°56'31"N

Longitude: -2.633 / 2°37'58"W

OS Eastings: 355619

OS Northings: 116050

OS Grid: ST556160

Mapcode National: GBR MP.NSVS

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.B09

Entry Name: St Johns Schoolrooms

Listing Date: 27 October 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261348

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH STREET (North side)

5/11 St Johns Schoolrooms

27.10.82

GV II

Schoolrooms erected 1816/7. Ham stone ashlar in a Quasi-collegiate manner, Welsh
slated roof between coped gables, each gable crowned by short stone chimney
stack. 2-storey 5-bay facade to Church Street, with a big arched recessed porch
in Tudor style centrally with steps up, and plinth all around; tall 4-light
mullioned and transomed windows with flat heads and linked label moulds at both
levels, with string course to first floor cill level and stone eaves moulding.
On the return Church Path elevation are the main gable, a short extension and a
smaller gable: the main gable has corbelled projecting chimney stack as main
feature, flanked by matching 3-light mullioned and transomed windows at each
level, the centre light of the first floor windows being raised; the windows are
repeated in the one-bay extension and second gable (first floor only), beneath
this last pair of pointed arched entrance doorways: above and between them a
good oblong sculptured panel. The interior not seen. Erected to replace the
earlier (1618) Sunday Schools which stood in Vicarage Street, and incorporating
the Chantry (q.v.).


Listing NGR: ST5561916050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.