History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tewin Water School with Former Stable Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewin, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8159 / 51°48'57"N

Longitude: -0.18 / 0°10'48"W

OS Eastings: 525549

OS Northings: 214596

OS Grid: TL255145

Mapcode National: GBR J92.39D

Mapcode Global: VHGPD.TMP9

Entry Name: Tewin Water School with Former Stable Block

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356272

Location: Tewin, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, AL6

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Tewin

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tewin

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tewin

Listing Text

TEWIN TEWIN WATER
TL 21 SE
5/162
Tewin Water School
20.10.52 with former Stable Block
(formerly listed as
Tewin Water)
- II

Country house, now school. Rebuilt 1789 for 3rd Earl Cowper. Remodelled
1798 by J.T. Groves for H. Cowper. Altered 1892. Enlarged and renovated
1902 for A. Beit. Stuccoed brick. Shallow hipped slate roofs. Greek
Revival Style, an H on plan. 2 storeys and attics. Entrance front 2:5:2.
Giant Ionic order, pilasters to outer bays, tetrastyle in antis portico
with paired columns to recessed centre, continuous entablature. Ground
floor: central early C20 double doors, 2/3 glazed and panelled with
ironwork, margin lights, Ionic pilastered architrave in a segmental
relieving arch. Flanking full length tripartite sashes with blind boxes,
casements and 9 pane sashes in projecting outer bays with segmental
relieving arches. Plat band to first floor, central tripartite casements
with pilastered architraves with rosettes, flanking tall casements.
Attic with mixed small sashes and casements, cornice to parapet. Left
return, 3:1:3 with central Giant Ionic distyle in antis portico,
pilasters to outer bays, continuous entablature. Central largely glazed
door, reeded surround with rosettes. Central first floor window opens
onto a curved balcony with iron railings. Outer bays are shallow 2
storey bows, casement windows. Astylar garden front, 2:3:2, central bays
set well back with early C20 ground floor flat roofed projection, 5
round headed windows, pilaster strips to large festooned urns on
parapet. First floor, central 'Venetian' window, tripartite sashes,
one dummy. Plat band to first floor and cornices above and below
attic continue. Outer bays have segmental ground floor and round headed
first floor relieving arches. Interior: remodelled c.1902 with
neo-classical plasterwork, panelling, and columnar screens. Top-lit open
well stair with scrolled iron balustrade, moulded ramped handrail,
paintings at top. Ground floor room to rear right has elephant hide on
walls above panelling. Attached to right from front is a 2 bay early C20
service block set back slightly, cornice to coped parapet. Added to
front of this a 6 bay 1 storey range with 5 full height casements and 1
glazing bar sash all with segmental relieving arches. To rear a 1 bay 2
storey service block with a 1 storey hipped outshut behind a 5 bay
curved link with relieving arches over glazing bar sashes, urns on
pilasters leading to former stable block, converted to school use 1798.
Pebbledashed brick. Hipped slate roof. 3:3:3 bays, extended to right. 2
storeys. Centre projects with plinth, tall round headed recess with loft
door, C20 casements. Ground floor openings all round headed. First floor
flush frame 3 light small pane casements. Eaves cornice. Central shallow
pediment with clock. Louvred gabled ventilators on ridges. To right 2
bay former coach-house with iron columns. Red brick to rear. Following a
visit to Tewin Water in 1799 H. Repton submitted a Red Book for H. Cowper
to consider in conjunction with Repton's scheme for Panshanger,
Hertingfordbury Civil Parish (q.v.). (Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL2554914596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.