History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lodge,gates and Gatepiers to Cottesbrooke Hall (West)

A Grade II Listed Building in Cottesbrooke, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3563 / 52°21'22"N

Longitude: -0.9608 / 0°57'38"W

OS Eastings: 470872

OS Northings: 273648

OS Grid: SP708736

Mapcode National: GBR BTT.9WQ

Mapcode Global: VHDRK.91FG

Entry Name: Lodge,gates and Gatepiers to Cottesbrooke Hall (West)

Listing Date: 2 November 1954

Last Amended: 8 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360118

Location: Cottesbrooke, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Cottesbrooke

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cottesbrooke All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Great Creaton

Listing Text

SP7073 COTTESBROOKE COTTESBROOKE

14/129 Lodge, gates and gatepiers to
02/11/54 Cottesbrooke Hall (west)
(north side)
(Formerly listed as
Cottesbrooke Hall Lodges)

GV II

Lodge with gates and gatepier. Late C18. Architect Robert Mitchell.
Limestone ashlar. Lodge originally one-unit plan. Single storey. Central
sash window with glazing bars has balustrade below and pediment over; all
set in shallow arched recess. Door facing drive has 6 fielded panels with
moulded stone architraves set in similar shallow arch with shields of arms in
tympanums. Frieze cornice, panelled and balustraded parapet with large oval
urns over centre. Wrought iron gate to right hanging from rusticated pier
with moulded cornice and oval patrae flanked by Roman Doric 2-column open
screen with wrought iron panels and hand gates surmounted by entablature
with triglyph freize with sphinx over linking to flanking lodge. The lodge,
gates and gatepiers form a pair with the east lodge. They were moved to their
present position in 1938 from the Leicester Road.
(Buildings of England Northamptonshire, p.163).


Listing NGR: SP7087273648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.