History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Christ

A Grade II Listed Building in Healey, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6379 / 53°38'16"N

Longitude: -2.1741 / 2°10'26"W

OS Eastings: 388583

OS Northings: 415720

OS Grid: SD885157

Mapcode National: GBR FV8C.3N

Mapcode Global: WHB8Q.KTXH

Entry Name: Church of Christ

Listing Date: 20 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358894

Location: Rochdale, OL12

County: Rochdale

Metropolitan District Ward: Healey

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Healey Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Listing Text

SD 81 NE ROCHDALE GANDY LANE
(east side)

3/66 Church of Christ,
20.2.1984 Middle Healey

G.V. II

Church. 1849-50. G Shaw. Random roughly dressed stone
with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Nave with clerestory
has aisles, south west tower and north porch. Chancel with
south chapel and north organ chamber/vestry. 6-bay nave
with low aisles, 2-light geometrical tracery windows of
varying design to both. Aisle has low weathered buttresses
with gablets. 3-stage tower has southern door, traceried
single-light openings to the bell stage and a broach spire.
The chancel, chapel and vestry are roofed separately
resulting in a triple east gable. All the roofs have coped
gables and cross finials. Interior: double chamfered
pointed nave arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals
and waterholding bases to south. Double chamfered pointed
chancel arch. Wooden roof structure with scissor braces is
supported on stone corbels. Elaborate wooden screens to
south chapel. The church was built with the aid of a
Commissioners' Grant.


Listing NGR: SD8858315720

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.