This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2331 / 52°13'59"N
Longitude: -1.0615 / 1°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 464193
OS Northings: 259847
OS Grid: SP641598
Mapcode National: GBR 9TQ.VX6
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.K46F
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360734
Location: Flore, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Flore
Built-Up Area: Flore
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Flore All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
9/88 Church of All Saints
Church. Mainly C13 with C14 work, south porch and east end of chancel C15,
repaired 1796 and interior restored and reseated 1876-7. Coursed squared
ironstone, lead roofs. Chancel, north chancel, vestry, nave and north and south
aisles, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light Perpendicular east
window with buttress below and offset diagonal buttress to angles, one 3-light
Perpendicular window to north and vestry. This has small pane leaded east window
with rectangular chamfered surround, a 2-light Perpendicular west window with
straight head, and angle buttress. Plain stone coped parapet and semicircular
stepped stone-roofed projection in angle between south-west corner and chancel.
To south, chancel has 3-light Perpendicular window to south-east, priest's door
to left with chamfered stone surround and pointed arched head framed by outer
arch on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, large nailhead decoration arch and
hood mould continued to right as string course; to south-west a 3-light low side
window with intersecting tracery and arched lights with cut spandrels below
transom. Nave has clerestory with 3 leaded windows to north and south; 2 lead
rainwater heads and pipes either side with heads to south dated 1798 and 1796.
North aisle has 3-light east window with flowing tracery and two 3-light north
windows with intersecting tracery to east of north door, a 2-light window with
cusped tracery to west of door and to west end, and diagonal buttresses to
angles. North door has inner arch with sunk quadrant moulding and
hollow-chamfered outer arch. South aisle has 3-light east and south-east windows
with reticulated tracery and buttress in between, a 3-light window with renewed
intersecting tracery to east of porch, 2-light windows with renewed Decorated
tracery to west and west end; diagonal buttresses to angles. Fine south door has
moulded inner arch with carved stone head above. 3 outer arches with outer and
inner arches and sunk quadrant mouldings, middle arch hollow-chamfered, on 2
shafts either side with stiff leaf capitals to left, vine-leaf capitals to
right. Stones of arches are of alternating limestone and ironstone. South porch
has renewed doorway with blocked 1-light window above framing fine carved stone
head, diagonal buttresses and 2-light, straight-headed windows north and south.
Aisles overlap 3-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses to west angles, a
many-moulded west door, a one-light west window to middle stage, 2-light
Decorated bell openings, battlemented parapet, and chamfered slits lighting
spiral stair to north-west side of door succeeded by cross slits at bell-stage
level. All windows and doors except for clerestory have hood moulds some with
good label stops. Interior: chancel has double piscina and single seat sedilia
and tie beam roof painted c.1960 by Stephen Dykes Bower. Rood screen of 3-light
divisions. Nave has 3-bay arcade with double-chamfered arches on piers with
triple shafts to 4 sides with one foliage capital and north-east respond
otherwise plain. Flat plastered ceilings to nave and aisles with small ribbed
cupola to middle of nave ceiling. Piscina with cusped ogee arch and hood mould
with label stops and finial at south-east end of south aisle. C19 stained glass
east windows to chancel and aisles. Hanoverian Royal Arms over tower arch; oil
on canvas. Painted commandments, Lords Prayer and creed boards in vestries. Cut
down box pews. Early C19 wall monuments. Brasses to Thomas Knaresburgh d.1450
and his wife d.1498; Henry Michell d.1510 and wife; Alice Wyrley d.1537.
(Kellys Directory 1898; Buildings of England: Northants, p.219).
Listing NGR: SP6419359847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings