This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4168 / 55°25'0"N
Longitude: -1.8358 / 1°50'8"W
OS Eastings: 410495
OS Northings: 613660
OS Grid: NU104136
Mapcode National: GBR H5MT.C2
Mapcode Global: WHC1H.S30S
Entry Name: Bolton Hall
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236568
Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Hedgeley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 11 SW
9/223 Bolton Hall
Small country house, now divided into 2 dwellings. North-east range late C17,
refenestrated and stair wing added in mid-C18; south block (replacing earlier
structure) and north-west range early Cl9, probably by John Dobson. C17/18
parts squared stone with cut dressings, south block squared tooled stone,
north-west range squared stone with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings.
Welsh slate roofs except for blue Scottish slates on north-east range
South front 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill and 1st floor bands,
moulded eaves cornice. Central old half-glazed door flanked by panelled
pilasters carrying open-pedimented hood; 4-pane sash windows. Hipped roof.
East elevation in 2 sections: Left bay with similar detail. Older right part
5 irregular bays; rusticated quoins at right end. At left C20 glazed double
doors in open-pedimented classical doorcase moved from centre bay; at right
end a half-glazed door with radial overlight. 4-pane sash windows in inserted
architraves. Coped right gable on moulded kneelers; 4 tall stepped-and-
corniced stacks, to ridge and right end.
West elevation has 3-storey 2-bay central stair wing, with round-arched stair
window and trompe l'oeil windows beneath eaves; early C19 lower left part with
boarded door and 10-pane overlight in re-set moulded surround with lintel
inscribed W M (William & Mary Brown) 1689. 12- and 16-pane sash windows.
Interior: South part has sitting room with c18 moulded stone fireplace, and
enriched modillion cornice. Two high rooms with moulded cornices in south
block; (the south door does not relate to any internal feature). Dogleg stair
with stick balusters, ramped handrail and carved tread ends; stair window has
panelled surround and pilasters. Greek key frieze at 1st floor level, dentil
cornice. Upper part of stair re-set as straight stair to 1st floor south
block; stairhead screen on half columns.
North part: Dining room has chamfered segmental-arched fireplace and panelled
dado. Fielded-panel doors, shutters, some panelling and old grates. Segmental
vaulted cellars with arched brick wine bins.
Reference to Dobson's involvement, Newcastle Journal 16 Jan. 1865.
Listing NGR: NU1049513660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings