History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bolton Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Hedgeley, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4169 / 55°25'0"N

Longitude: -1.8335 / 1°50'0"W

OS Eastings: 410635

OS Northings: 613675

OS Grid: NU106136

Mapcode National: GBR H5MT.V0

Mapcode Global: WHC1H.T32P

Entry Name: Bolton Chapel

Listing Date: 31 December 1969

Last Amended: 25 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236566

Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Hedgeley

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Glanton

Listing Text

HEDGELEY BOLTON
NU 11 SW
9/221 Bolton Chapel
formerly listed as
21.12.69 Church, dedication
unknown)

II

Chapel-of-ease, Anglican. Chancel arch C12, chancel walls probably medieval,
nave and north transept early C19", south porch and vestry c.1868. Chancel
coursed rubble with later ashlar dressings; C19 parts tooled stone with ashlar
dressings, except for rock-faced porch; Welsh slate roofs, with 3 bands of
green fishscale slates on South slope of chancel. Aisleless 4-bay nave with
south porch and north transept, small chancel with north vestry. Romanesque
style.

Nave has 4 round-arched single-light windows in double-chamfered surrounds
on south, 2 similar windows on-north, and a wider round-arched west window;
small arched bellcote on west gable. South porch has studded double doors
under trefoil arch, and cross finial; inside porch panelled double doors with
metal-latticed fanlight, under double-chamfered arch on moulded imposts.
North transept has triplet of round-headed lights to north. Similar stepped
triplet with circular light above in east end of chancel; single-light window
on south to east of earlier blocked window. Ring cross finial on east gable.

Interior: Plastered. Semicircular chancel arch, stepped towards nave, on
worn imposts carried back as band along east wall of nave. Early C19 3-bay
screen of moulded arches on slender round piers with scalloped caps, to north
transept. Collar-beam roof trusses with upper king posts, those to transept
and chancel with arch braces on moulded corbels, the latter with pierced
infill and wallplate. Boarding between rafters painted blue spangled with
gold stars.

Small font with round shaft and moulded bowl dated '1732' in north transept;
elaborate C19 Romanesque font in nave. Wrought-iron altar rails and Minton
tiles in sanctuary. Coat of arms of Martha Burrill, d.1700, on south of
chancel; similar painted coat of arms on north of nave. Several C18 and C19
wall tablets, including monument to Forster family (1790-1809), with draped
urn, signed by R. Blore, and 1864 tablet to Lewis de Crespigny Buckle, who
perished at sea on the S.S. Nemesis.


Listing NGR: NU1063513675

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.