History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glanton Pike

A Grade II Listed Building in Glanton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4223 / 55°25'20"N

Longitude: -1.9108 / 1°54'38"W

OS Eastings: 405742

OS Northings: 614273

OS Grid: NU057142

Mapcode National: GBR H53R.32

Mapcode Global: WHB04.MZ91

Entry Name: Glanton Pike

Listing Date: 31 December 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055867

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236548

Location: Glanton, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Glanton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Glanton

Listing Text

GLANTON GLANTON PIKE
NU 01 SE
8/205 Glanton Pike
31.12.69
GV II

Country house, c.1780 for John Mills; rear wings probably part of the 1829
alterations and extensions by John Dobson for Henry Collingwood. South front
tooled ashlar, returns squared stone with ashlar dressings; wings squared
tooled stone; Welsh slate roof, except for Scottish slates on north-east wing.

South front 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, rusticated quoins, moulded
eaves cornice and blocking course. 3 steps up to central glazed double doors
in lugged architrave with pulvinated frieze and pediment. Ground floor
8-pane sash windows, lst floor 6-pane sashes, all in architraves. Hipped roof
with 2 stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks. Entrance (east) front similar except
for mid-C19 central porch with plain square piers and pilasters, frieze and
cornice; doorway has old half-glazed double doors and 4-pane overlight. Lower
windows are 12-pane sashes, those on left renewed. On far right single-storey
north-east wing shows 12-pane sash and stepped-and-banded ridge stack. West
elevation: C18 part 3 bays, similar detail to south front. To left north-west
wing 2 storeys + attics, 3 bays; various sash windows to lower floors; 2
segment-headed dormers with 8-pane Yorkshire sash and 2-pane casement. Coped
gables, stepped-and-banded right end and 2 ridge stacks. North elevation shows
similar treatment and gable bellcote with pointed opening on west wing.

Interior: Fielded-panel doors and reveals, folding panelled shutters. Drawing
room has anthemion and Greek key cornice; sitting room egg-and-dart cornice and
panelled fireplace with old ironwork; billiard room has egg-and-dart cornice.
Dog-leg stair with stick balusters and moulded handrail.


Listing NGR: NU0574214273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.