History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Immaculate Conception

A Grade II Listed Building in Eckington, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3025 / 53°18'9"N

Longitude: -1.3197 / 1°19'10"W

OS Eastings: 445432

OS Northings: 378611

OS Grid: SK454786

Mapcode National: GBR MZ77.2V

Mapcode Global: WHDF4.P8R2

Entry Name: Church of the Immaculate Conception

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055870

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79605

Location: Eckington, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S21

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Eckington

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Renishaw

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Barlborough

Listing Text

PARISH OF ECKINGTON SPINKILL LANE
SK 47 NE
8/124
Church of the
Immaculate Conception
II
Catholic church. 1846 by James Hansom, with extensions of 1864
and 1966. Regularly coursed coal measures sandstone with ashlar
gritstone dressings, rising from a diagonal plinth, coped gables
with cross finials, coped gables and Welsh slated roofs. Tower
with broach spire, with single stage projecting tower stair
tower, nave with south nave porch, chancel with north and south
chancel chapels, and extension to chancel chapel of 1964. Three
stage tower with stepped clasping buttresses, with set-offs,
with moulded stringcourse linking lancet buttresses set-off and
moulded bandcourses delineating the tower stages. Coupled
pointed arched EE style belfry lights below a moulded cornice
from which the octagonal spire rises. The spire has decorative
diagonal masonry bands and lucarnes, which incorporate clock
faces, with cross finials. South face with niche, with Dec.
style surround, with statue of the Virgin. Projecting single
storey tower for tower stair, with stepped flagged roof. Tall
lancet to west tower wall at first stage level, with deeply
moulded surround below hoodmould with foliage stops. Lancets to
ground floor beneath continuous string which acts as hoodmould.
Gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, coped gable with cross
finial and tripartite niche to gable apex with figures of the
Virgin and attendant angels. Single doorway with moulded
pointed arch beneath hoodmould with head stop. Nave of five
bays, with stepped diagonal buttresses to west end, and similar
buttresses delineating nave bays. Steeply pointed arched
2-light windows within deeply recessed and moulded surround with
moulded stringcourse below cills and hoodmoulds with head stops.
Chamfered eaves band carried on corbel table. Chancel south
chapel with stepped diagonal buttresses, and four linked shallow
2-light windows with trefoil heads to lights supporting
quatrefoils. Hoodmoulds to each window with carved stops.
Single 3-light pointed arched window with simple tracery to east
end. Chancel with simplified corbel table, diagonal buttresses,
and a 3-light window with deeply recessed and moulded surround.
Moulded stringcourse steps up beneath cill level. Chancel south
chapel with seven linked single lights, each a cusped lancet
beneath a hoodmould, the moulding linked at the capitals of
intermediate attached shafts. Diagonal buttresses to north-east
corner. Vestry of 1864 to north of chapel with plain chamfered
plinth and three 2-light cross windows with trefoil heads to
each light. Taller cross windows to north gable, with diagonal
projecting stack, separating lancets in gable apex, and
terminating in circular stone chimney. Vestry doorway to west
of extension, now blocked and used as window. Plain flat roofed
extension to nave north wall. Interior. Roof carried on
elaborate corbels which support roof posts. Tall EE style
chancel arch, alabaster reredos of 1904, contemporary reredos
with upper part of 1904. Chancel north chapel with diminutive
hammer beam roof.


Listing NGR: SK4543278611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.