This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.892 / 52°53'31"N
Longitude: -2.9467 / 2°56'47"W
OS Eastings: 336406
OS Northings: 333146
OS Grid: SJ364331
Mapcode National: GBR 77.PYHX
Mapcode Global: WH89R.QK0S
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260872
Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Welsh Frankton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. WELSH FRANKTON
SJ 33 SE
8/175 Church of St. Andrew
Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. 1857-8 by Edward Haycock on site of
chapel of 1835; later additions and alterations. Rock-faced sandstone
ashlar with plain ashlar dressings plus banded stonework to tower; machine
tile roofs with coped verges and stone crosses to gables. Nave; chancel;
south-west tower; north-east vestry/organ chamber. Early Decorated style.
Tower. In 3 stages with gabled angle buttresses to bottom 2 stages and
broached spire (1863). Belfry has 2-light slate-louvred cusped lancets
with sexfoils above except for west side, which has single cusped lancet
with trefoil above;hoodmoulds and head-stops. Second stage has paired
recessed lancets with shouldered heads under segmental-pointed arch to
south and east faces. Splayed external stair turret to south-west corner.
Spire has ornamental gabled lucarnes and plain iron or bronze cross to top.
Porch within tower has outer doorway on south side with moulded segmental-
pointed arch and foliated label-stops, approached by flight of 14 steps with
half-landing; multi-stepped ramped gabled sides. Ribbed vault in 3 bays
with hollow-moulded inner doorway. Nave: south side buttressed in 2 bays
(including tower) with trefoil-headed paired lancets linked by continuous
hoodmould with foliated label-stops, left window with quatrefoil above and
right with trefoil above. Chamfered plinth. West end has central gabled
buttress with broad trefoil-headed lancet to each side; foliated label-
stops. Cusped trefoil also with foliated label-stops above buttress. North
side buttressed in 4 bays has broad trefoil-headed lancets with quatrefoils
above to 3 west bays linked by continuous hoodmould with foliated label-
stop to left and head-stop to right. Chancel: south side has 2 closely
spaced 2-light lancets with quatrefoils above in west bay linked by continuous
hoodmould with foliated label-stops; single cusped lancet with trefoil
above in east bay. Continuous stepped moulded cill band. 3-light east
window with foliated label-stops and single-light cusped lancet with trefoil
and head-stops above on north. Gabled vestry/organ chamber, enlarged in 1871
and again in 1898 has paired trefoil-headed lancets to north wall and
rectangular stack to north-west corner. Doorway with shouldered head in angle
with chancel on east side. Interior. Double-purlin roof in 4 bays to nave
with arch-braced upper and lower collars and king-posts. Double-chamfered
pointed chancel arch has corbelled responds with stiff-leaf foliage decoration.
Curved trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing to chancel. Pointed double-
chamfered arch to vestry/organ chamber. Raised sanctuary and chancel
separated from nave by low stone screen beneath chancel arch with encaustic
tile decoration and flight of 5 steps to centre. Stone pulpit built in on
north side has blind Gothic tracery patterns. Fittings and furnishings
1857-8 or later including octagonal font with miniature cusped gables to base.
Painted legends over north nave windows. Geometrically-patterned marble
reredos donated by first incumbent, Oswald Moseley Feilden in 1870. Late
C19 and early C20 stained glass in several windows including east window
(1924) in memory of Revd. Feilden, who died in that year. Monument.
Alabaster memorial to west wall of nave and stained glass in windows above
commemorate Charles Edward Kynaston of Hardwick Hall (q.v.), died 1903.
The parish of Welsh Frankton was created in 1865 from parts of those of
Ellesmere and Whittington. B.O.E. p. 132; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p. 835.
Listing NGR: SJ3640633146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings