This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.831 / 52°49'51"N
Longitude: -2.832 / 2°49'55"W
OS Eastings: 344039
OS Northings: 326265
OS Grid: SJ440262
Mapcode National: GBR 7D.TNL7
Mapcode Global: WH8B6.G3MJ
Entry Name: Petton Church (Dedication Unknown)
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Last Amended: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260883
Location: Petton, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Petton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Petton
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
PETTON C.P. PETTON
SJ 42 NW
12/186 Petton Church (dedica-
- tion unknown) [formerly
listed as Parish Church
27.5.53 (Dedication unknown)]
Parish church. 1727 for Francis Chambre on site of medieval church.
Restored in 1870 for William Sparling of Petton Hall and again in 1896
for Emma Florence Cunliffe, also of Petton Hall. Red brick on stepped
plinth, moulded to west end; late C19 slate roof with lozenge-shaped
patterns has coped verges on carved stone kneelers. Four iron louvres.
Nave and chancel in one with slightly later north vestry; west bellcote
and porch of 1870. Three round-headed windows on north and south with
easternmost on north shortened; similar east window. Segmental-headed
west doorway with panelled door under open gabled timber porch on brick
side walls with sandstone coping. Pointed finial and scissor bracing
to gable. Square open bellcote housing bell inscribed "LONG LIVE ROGER
WILBRAHAM 1666" has steep pyramidal roof and brass weathercock. Vestry
has round-headed window on north and machine tile roof. Datestone above
porch reads "THIS CHURCH / WAS RESTORED BY / W.m SPARLING ESQ / OF PETTON
HALL / SEPT 1st 1870." Fixed to south wall of church is headstone to
Edward Hayward "whose death was caused by the / wheels of a waggon going
over / his head on the 3rd of Sept. [date of year illegible at time
of resurvey (January 1987)]. Interior. Box pews on north and south
sides with H-hinges and benches around sides probably c.1727 but squire's
pew (at east end on south side) incorporates C17 carved panels, mostly
depicting a variety of floral patterns. Reused square and rectangular
panelling to walls probably also C17 but that around windows on north
and south sides probably C18 or C19. Sumptuously carved Jacobean
pulpit said to have come from Church of St. Giles, Wrexham but reading
desk below is probably original to church. The pulpit has inscription
"1635 / AM.. CW" with the "3" of "1635" turned back to front; barleysugar
balusters to steps with foliage to their feet. Fluted decoration to
base and decorated carved panels separated by barleysugar balusters to
sides; carved rosettes to top and carved supports to ledge of desk.
Back has carved emblem of sun and superscription "IHS". Elaborately
carved tester with pendants has later Gothic tracery patterns applied.
Part of the steps may also be C19. Small brass tablet on west wall
records that the church was "adorned and beautified by Emma Florence
Cunliffe, Lady of the Manor of Petton" in 1896. She was responsible
for the design of several of the fittings and furnishings and also for
the importation of much woodwork from elsewhere. West gallery with
linenfold panelling to front (said to have been found beneath the pews)
rests on 2 columns on square plinths brought from the Council House,
Shrewsbury. These are covered with oval, oblong and diamond-shaped
carving and have lion's heads to top. Much C17 woodwork was also brought
from Stanwardine Hall (q.v. under Baschurch C.P.) and was reused in the
reredos and the surround of the east window. Jacobean panelling also
to walls of chancel which has bench to south side; contemporary altar
rails. Two C17 Dutch carved panels fixed to north wall of chancel [one
showing Resurrection of Christ (Christ Opsta)] and one with superscription
"DE DOPE CHRIST" reused as font cover, said to have been bought in Bridg-
north. Wrought-iron screen with elaborately worked floral motifs fixed
to east end of easternmost pews, designed by Mrs. Cunliffe (1897).
Also by Mrs. Cunliffe the wrought-iron sconces fixed to the pulpit, pews and
gallery and the candelabra in the chancel and gallery. Late C19 encaustic
tiles in chancel and tessellated pavement in sanctuary. Iron-bound
safe in south wall also contemporary. Font consists of C18 vase-shaped
baluster supporting detached Corinthian capital with hollowed top and
egg and dart moulding, possibly of different provenance from pedestal.
Holy water stoup by west door found during clearing out of Petton Moat
(N.G.R. SJ 442 264) in 1825. Chained Book of Common Prayer (dated 1745)
in west pew on north side. Plain collar beam roof in 7 bays (1870).
Stained glass: much to design of Emma Florence Cunliffe including east
window in memory of her uncles and aunt, William, Charles and Emma Sparling.
North side, from east to west: (1) Given by parishioners (1909) (2) In
memory of Legendre Watkin Cunliffe (died 1906) (3)In memory of Ellis
Robert Cunliffe Stone (died 1914). South side, from west to east: (1)
In memory of Robert Doyly Freeman Thomas (died 1911) (2) To mark coronation
of George V (1911) (3) In memory of Emma Florence Cunliffe [née Sparling
(died 1925)]o Monuments. C19 and C20 wall tablets and memorials through-
out to members of Sparling and Cunliffe families. Most notable are
large marble and mosaic monuments towards west end of nave: north side,
Ellis Brooke Cunliffe (died 1915), south side, John Brooke Cunliffe (died
1917). Only earlier monument is to left of pulpit. Plain pilasters
with composite capitals flanking inscription panel [illegible at time
of resurvey (January 1987)] but known to commemorate Francis Chambre
(died 1734) with armorial device to top and heads of 2 putti to bottom.
Petton was originally a dependent chapelry of Baschurch (q.v. under Church
of All Saints, Baschurch C.P.). B.o.E. p. 227; D.H.S. Cranage, The
Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 774-6; Appendix, p.1004;
Information about Petton Church, begun 1906 by Emma Florence Cunliffe
and maintained by successive vicars (in care of churchwarden).
Listing NGR: SJ4403926265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings