This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.897 / 52°53'49"N
Longitude: -2.8761 / 2°52'33"W
OS Eastings: 341161
OS Northings: 333639
OS Grid: SJ411336
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.PHW5
Mapcode Global: WH89S.SFMZ
Entry Name: The Lyth
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260784
Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
1585/9/84 A 528
27-MAY-53 (West side)
Small country house. 1819 with minor later additions and alterations.
Painted brick; low-pitched hipped slate roof with deep eaves, central
open-well and stacks to either side of centre projection and to rear.
2 storeys with continuous first-floor stone cill band. 1:1:1 bays,
centre section projecting; glazing bar sashes, tripartite to centre on
first floor, dummies to upper left and on either side to ground floor, latter
15-paned. Central entrance; wide half-glazed double doors with flanking
vertical lights and rectangular overlight. Cast-iron verandah
with trellised supports continued to left and right returns, former in
1:2:1 bays. Glazing bar sashes, 15-paned to centre on ground floor and
tripartite to left and right. Right return has 4 widely spaced glazing bar
sashes to each floor. Contemporary lower hip-roofed service ranges attached
to rear grouped around square courtyard.
Interior. Wood open-well staircase in central hall,top-lit by circular lantern, has 2 slender wrought-iron balusters to each tread. Several contemporary fireplaces and plaster cornices to ground-floor rooms, several of which have panelled window shutters. Morning room (to left of entrance) has Dufour wallpaper
of c.1815-20 portraying journeys of Antenor, original to house. Also in
house since its construction are tapestries by John Vanderbank of Soho,
c.1730. These are fixed within frames in the dining room (to right of entrance) which appears to have been designed to accommodate them. 2 large scenes on end walls with smaller scene above fireplace and entre-fenêtre opposite. These depict
'The Return from Harvest' and 'The Gipsies Fortune-Telling' with 'Backgammon
Players' attached (large scenes); 'The Scene outside an Ale-house' (above
fireplace) and a boy with feathered hat and stick facing, to his right, a
man driving 2 cows (entre-fenêtre). The tapestries have a narrow grey rope
border and there is a tradition that they may have come from Windsor Castle,
though no documentary evidence for this statement exists. B.O.E. p. 128;
H.C. Marillier, Handbook to the Teniers Tapestries (1932), p. 108; CL (Feb.
3rd, 1977), pp. 252-3; information from owner, L.R. Jebb, Esq. (February 1987).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings