History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shade Oak Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cockshutt, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8434 / 52°50'36"N

Longitude: -2.8756 / 2°52'32"W

OS Eastings: 341121

OS Northings: 327681

OS Grid: SJ411276

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.SXPG

Mapcode Global: WH89Z.SSVJ

Entry Name: Shade Oak Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260750

Location: Cockshutt, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cockshutt

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Petton

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Burlton

Listing Text

COCKSHUTT C.P. -
SJ 42 NW
12/50 Shade Oak Farmhouse
-
27.5.53
- II
Farmhouse. Probably early C17, extended late Cl7 with later additions
and alterations. Timber framed with painted brick infill, largely clad
in C20 brick painted black and white in imitation of timber frame to
front and rendered to rear. Slate roofs. Earliest part is gabled
range to left, extended to right in later C17. 2 storeys and attics.
Framing: only framing visible to front is to centre and right gables;
collar and tie beam trusses with upper collars and painted V-struts,
boxed double-purlin ends. Remainder of front brick, painted in imitation
of timber frame. Left return of left range has continuous jetty with
moulded bressumer supported on 4 carved brackets; rendered plinth and
some rendered infill. 2 narrow rectangular panels on each floor with
straight tension braces to corners. Timber frame said to survive beneath
render to rear. 1:1:1 windows, all C20 double sashes (those to ground
floor segmental-headed) except small C19 casements to attics, right blind
and painted in imitation. Central C20 half-glazed door with narrow flank-
ing sashes. Prominent red brick ridge stack to left of main range
and right gable has 2 prominent external lateral stacks with tall red
brick shafts, right with datestone "F/RS/1763". C20 lean-to porch between
stacks and double side-hung casement above with H-hinges. 4 gables
to rear, 2 to left projecting (right with external end stack) and 2 to
right (right with prominent external end stack). Right of left gables
has outshut to right and C19 single-storey brick outbuilding projecting
from junction of 2 left gables has reused nail-studded plank door with
pointed strap hinges. Interior. Left gabled range has panelled wooden
overmantel to brick fireplace beneath ridge stack. 2 tapering Ionic
pilasters to sides with blind round-headed arches to lintel; centre
panel has superscription "FF IF 1659". Deep-chamfered cross and spine
beams and oak wainscot panelling. Formerly divided into 2 rooms.
Traces of possible former smoke-hood to other side of stack in main range;
chamfered spine beams are jointed with an iron plate at point to which
canopy may formerly have extended. C18 staircase behind door has turned
balusters and moulded handrail. Chamfered ceiling beams to first-floor
rooms, which like attic have wide boarded oak floor boards. Semi-circular
plaster ceiling to rear room of right gabled range. Oak winder staircase
leads to attic which has timber frame (some with herringbone brick infill)
visible beneath C20 brickwork. Right gabled range has collar and tie
beam roof in 2 wide bays with V-struts from collars and extra collar
inserted to give added strength and an extra bay. Similar roof structure
to other ranges. Cellar has part regularly coursed and dressed red
sandstone and part brick walls, part under left gabled range with barrel
vault. Cobbled floors. The overmantel is said to be almost identical
to that at Old Hall, Lee (q.v. under Ellesmere Rural). Lean-to to rear
of right gabled range and mid-C20 flat-roofed addition to rear of left
gabled range are not of special architectural interest. B.o.E. pp.
111, 164.


Listing NGR: SJ4112127681

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.