This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9699 / 52°58'11"N
Longitude: -2.6833 / 2°40'59"W
OS Eastings: 354208
OS Northings: 341611
OS Grid: SJ542416
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JW62
Mapcode Global: WH89H.RMF2
Entry Name: Post Office
Listing Date: 13 August 1970
Last Amended: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260675
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. SAINT MARY'S STREET (south-west
8/119 No. 12 (Post Office)
13.8.70 (formerly listed as Post Office)
Wesleyan chapel, now post office. 1810, altered internally in the C20.
Rendered, or painted grey sandstone ashlar. Hipped slate roof. 2
storeys. Plinth, rusticated ground floor, floor bands, Giant Tuscan order
of pilasters with frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course, and central
steep one-bay pediment. Circular cowling on roof. 1:1:1 bays, with
central break. Outer first-floor round-arched glazing bar sashes with
plain architraves and impost blocks, and central first-floor Venetian
window with plain architrave and impost blocks. Ground-floor elliptical
arched windows (probably altered in the C20) with margin lights, 3 recessed
panels below, moulded imposts and voussoirs. Central pair of doors, each
with 3 raised and fielded panels, 3-part elliptical-arched fanlight and
wooden doorcase with Tuscan pilasters and entablature. Return fronts of
5 bays to left and 3 bays to right, each with plinth, floor band and round-
arched glazing bar sashes. Interior altered in C20. This chapel was
replaced in 1879 by Saint John's Methodist Church (q.v.) in Saint John's
Street. R.C.H.M. (England), Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses
(London, 1986), p. 236.
Listing NGR: SJ5420841611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings