This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9681 / 52°58'5"N
Longitude: -2.6833 / 2°40'59"W
OS Eastings: 354207
OS Northings: 341416
OS Grid: SJ542414
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.K2Q5
Mapcode Global: WH89H.RNFD
Entry Name: Bulls Head Public House
Listing Date: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260690
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P.
WATERGATE (north-east side)
Bull's Head Public House
House, now public house. Probably late C16, extended c.1700, remodelled
in the early C19 and further altered c.1900. Timber framed with
plastered and painted brick infill, partly rendered, and partly refaced or rebuilt in
red brick. Plain tile roofs, hipped to centre, and slate roof to rear.
Framing: square panels. Rear wing with much reused timber. L-plan.
One framed bay and 2-bay cross wing to right (flush to front) with later
wing at rear. 3 storeys with 2-storey wing to left. Rendered plinth
and dentil brick eaves cornice. Left-hand wing with c.1900 brick ridge
stack and integral lateral brick stack to rear. External brick lateral
stack to rear wing. Tall right-hand part has second-floor boxed glazing bar
sash with painted stone cill and segmental-headed first-and ground-floor
C20 wooden casements, also with. painted stone cills. 6-panelled door to right
(lower panels beaded flush) with rectangular overlight and large doorcase
with consoles supporting flat hood. The lower left-hand part has pair of
first-floor 8-pane boxed glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and
pair of ground-floor segmental-headed C20 wooden casements, also with painted
stone cills. Left-hand gable end: rebuilt c.1900. Jettied timber framed
first floor with moulded bressumer on 3 fluted brackets and pair of
first-floor 2-light wooden casements. Decorative diagonal framing in gable.
Rear: lean-to to right and raking dormer to centre. Gable to rear of tall
part has a collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts. Rear wing: c.1700.
Gable end with first-floor glazing bar sash and collar and tie-beam truss
with queen struts and V-struts. Interior: right-hand ground-floor room
has probably reset (see mortices) large ceiling beam with billet ornament
and the remains of a band of carved ornament above. Former fireplace to
left with chamfered wooden lintel. Left-hand ground-floor room with
deep-chamfered ceiling beam and plain joists. Exposed framing in right-
hand first-floor room, each square panel with chamfered reveals. The
former location of the large ornamented ground-floor beam is not known.
The ornamentation above the mortices suggest that it might have formed part
of a screen or canopy.
Listing NGR: SJ5420141415
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings