This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8249 / 52°49'29"N
Longitude: -2.854 / 2°51'14"W
OS Eastings: 342554
OS Northings: 325600
OS Grid: SJ425256
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.V385
Mapcode Global: WH8B6.4877
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260699
Location: Baschurch, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Baschurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Weston Lullingfield and Hordley
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 42 NW -
12/4 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1857 by Edward Haycock Jun. for Miss Barrett of Prescott.
Rock-faced sandstone ashlar on stepped chamfered plinth; machine tile
roofs with coped verges and foliated crosses to gables. Nave with
west bellcote; chancel; north porch and vestry/organ chamber: early
Decorated style. Nave. South side buttressed in 3 bays (all buttresses
gabled) has paired cusped lancets with leaded lights to each bay,those
in east bay to right of covered passage-way linking church with former
vicarage (q.v. under Norton House). West end has angle buttresses
and buttress to centre with cusped lancet to either side; roundel with
3 pierced sexfoils and clock dated 1897 in commemoration of Queen Victoria's
Diamond Jubilee above. North side, buttressed in 3 unequal bays, has
paired cusped lancets to east and centre bays and single cusped lancet
to west bay immediately to left of gabled stone porch. This has pointed
inner and outer doorways (latter double chamfered), cusped quatrefoils
to sides and is approached by straight flight of 6 steps flanked by
ramped gabled coping. Planted timber framed bellcote has louvred rect-
angular openings and broached slate spire with weathercock. Chancel.
Cusped lancet to north and stepped angle buttresses to east wall, which
has window with geometrical tracery in 3 lights. Buttressed in 2 bays
on south, paired cusped lancets with trefoil above to east bay and 3
cusped lancets to west bay. Gabled vestry/organ chamber at right-
angles to north has external end stack and 2-light mullion window on
east side with boiler house below. Interior. Arch-braced collar
beam roof in 4 bays to nave with cusped struts from collars and painted
armorial shields to plain stone corbels; bracing for bellcote in west
bay. Trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing to chancel. Pointed
chancel arch has corbelled responds with carved foliage decoration and
hoodmould terminating in painted head-stops, queen to left and king
to right. Pointed doorway to vestry. Stone pulpit has blind Gothic
tracery panels and octagonal font also looks c.1857. Late C19 benches
in nave. Chancel and raised sanctuary have choir stalls and square
and rectangular oak panelling provided by Revd. E.H. Tuke, vicar from
1879-1915. Possibly Jacobean chair in sanctuary. The parish of Weston
Lullingfieldswas carved out of Baschurch in 1857. B.o.E. p. 312; D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.779.
Listing NGR: SJ4255425600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings