This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9695 / 52°58'10"N
Longitude: -2.6844 / 2°41'3"W
OS Eastings: 354131
OS Northings: 341567
OS Grid: SJ541415
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JVVV
Mapcode Global: WH89H.QMWC
Entry Name: 34, High Street
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Last Amended: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260654
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P.
HIGH STREET (south-west side)
No. 34 (Formerly listed as premises occupied by Bradleys)
House, now shop and office. Early to mid-C18. Red brick with painted
sandstone dressings. Plain tile roof. L-plan. 3 storeys. Remains of
chamfered stone plinth, chamfered quoins, deep rusticated stone band
beneath first-floor windows, plat band between first- and second-floor
windows, and moulded wooden modillion eaves cornice. Parapeted gabled
ends with rounded stone copings, shaped kneelers and integral brick end
stacks (that to right rebuilt c.1900). Brick ridge stack to rear wing.
4 bays; boxed plate-glass sashes with moulded stone cills on small
shaped brackets and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Late C20
plate-glass shop-front with deep fascia. Left-hand return front: rear
wing with rendered chamfered plinth and dentil brick eaves cornice. 4
bays; boxed glazing bar sashes (some with bars removed and some blocked)
with moulded stone cills and gauged-brick heads with keystones. Early
C19 doorway to left with 6-panelled door (lower 2 panels flush) and simple
doorcase with incised plaster strips, frieze with central panel, and moulded
cornice. Interior: C18 (post 1720) dog-leg staircase rising from first-
floor to attic, with half landings, open string with shaped brackets,
column-on-vase balusters (2 per tread), ramped moulded handrail, and
columnular foot newel to first floor. The section of the staircase from
the ground floor to the first floor has been removed, probably when the
house became a shop. Some of the turned balusters of the top section
have been replaced by C20 rectangular-section balusters. This house is
thought to have been the home of the Duke of Bridgewater's steward.
Whitchurch Area Archaeological Group, Whitchurch Rural, ill. 24.
Listing NGR: SJ5413941574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings