This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9696 / 52°58'10"N
Longitude: -2.6844 / 2°41'3"W
OS Eastings: 354134
OS Northings: 341581
OS Grid: SJ541415
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JVVT
Mapcode Global: WH89H.QMX8
Entry Name: 36 and 38, High Street
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Last Amended: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260655
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P.
HIGH STREET (south-west side)
Nos. 36 and 38 (formerly listed as Express Cafe)
House, latterly cafe, now shop. Dated 1677 at rear, remodelled in the late
C18. Rendered, probably over brick, with brick addition to rear.
Probably incorporating timber framing. Plain tile roof, hipped to right.
3 storeys over basement. Moulded stone string course between first and
second floors, moulded cornice, and parapet with moulded coping. Integral
brick end stack to left (top rebuilt c.1900) on dressed grey sandstone base.
2 bays; tripartite glazing bar sashes with stone cills and slightly-
segmental heads. Shop-front of c.1900 with pair of plate-glass windows,
central recessed pair of half-glazed doors with engraved glass, flanking
panelled pilasters, and deep fascia. Wrought-iron sign bracket between
second-floor windows. C18 three-storey addition at rear with plat band.
Interior: ground-floor remodelled c.1900 with Fulgoni's Cafe on ground
floor and first floor to front. Ovolo-moulded beams with ogee stops to
first- and second-floor rooms. Elaborate oak L-plan staircase of c.1677
with half landings, angled balustrades to full landings, pulvinated closed
string, rectangular-section balusters, grip handrail, and square newel posts
with bulbous finials and pendants. Flight from ground floor removed
during c.1900 remodelling and attic flight altered at some time to turn 90°
in opposite direction. First-floor front room: fireplace of c.1690-1700
to right with bolection-moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded
cornice. Probably c.1900 Seventeenth-Century style carved wooden fireplace
to left with figures, pilasters, frieze with guilloche ornament, and
carved cornice. Room formerly 2 but now divided by folding screen of c.1900.
Dado rail. Half-glazed café door of c.1900. C19 cast-iron grate to
first floor. Ground-floor top-lit rear room of c.1900 with husk swags in
frieze. Basement with pair of C17 ovolo-moulded beams. Although the
facade of the range has been altered, probably in the late C18 (windows
etc.), the heavy moulded string course and cornice probably date from the
C17, suggesting that the building has always been of brick construction,
perhaps with timber-framed internal walls only. The datestone, recorded
elsewhere (Town Trail etc.), was not noted at time of survey (November
1986).B.O.E., p. 314; Whitchurch Area Archaeological group, Whitchurch
Rembered, ill. 21; Whitchurch Town Trail.
Listing NGR: SJ5413441581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings