This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.971 / 52°58'15"N
Longitude: -2.6855 / 2°41'7"W
OS Eastings: 354061
OS Northings: 341739
OS Grid: SJ540417
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JVK8
Mapcode Global: WH89H.QLD6
Entry Name: Higginson's Almshouses and Adjoining Wall at Rear
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260584
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BARGATES (north-east side)
8/32 Nos. 1 to 11 (odd)
1.5.51 (Higginson's Almshouses)
and adjoining wall at
Row of Almshouses. Dated 1697, with early C19 alterations.
Red brick, with painted sandstone ashlar dressings. Graded slate roof.
2 storeys. Stepped brick plinth, chamfered stone quoins, painted dentil
brick eaves cornice, and parapeted gables with stone copings and shaped stone
kneelers. 3 brick ridge stacks. 7:1:7 bays, with central gabled quoined
break. 6 two-light wooden casements to each floor, those to ground floor
with tiled cills and roughly gauged heads. Blind ground-floor windows in
third bays from each end. C20 half-glazed doors in first, fifth and sixth
bays from each end, with probably early C19 returned hoodmoulds. Central
ground-floor round-arched niche with plain architrave, cill, continuous
impost band and raised keystone. Reset moulded square datestone above,
inscribed: "DEO/ET/PAUPERBUS/SAMUEL/HIGGINSON/MDCXCVII." Base of right-hand
end wall faced in C19 tooled dressed grey sandstone. C20 lean-to additions
at rear. L-shaped C18 tooled red/grey sandstone ashlar wall enclosing yard
at rear, with rounded corner and rounded coping. Taller section to centre
with moulded coping. Round-arched niche to left with plain architrave, and
impost blocks and keystone; round-arched doorway to right with plain
architrave, raised impost blocks and keystone, and two C20 boarded doors.
Straight joint between the two sections of wall. Although founded in 1697 the
almshouses probably date from the early C18 (1708, Kelly's). They were
heightened by one storey, probably in the early C19 (see straight joint and
different brick colour), when the hoodmoulds were also added. Some sources
give 1807 as the date of construction but this is probably the date of the
Listing NGR: SJ5407041729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings