History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Loppington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.8584 / 52°51'30"N

Longitude: -2.7862 / 2°47'10"W

OS Eastings: 347162

OS Northings: 329276

OS Grid: SJ471292

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.RV14

Mapcode Global: WH8B1.5FH1

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260496

Location: Loppington, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Loppington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Loppington St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 4629-4729
15/41 Church of St. Michael

Parish church. C14 and late C15, partly rebuilt mid-C17 and early C18;
restored 1870. Regularly coursed and dressed yellow and red sandstone;
plain tile roofs with coped verges and ornamental cresting. Nave, chancel,
west tower, south aisle and porch. Tower: late C15 in 3 stages with
diagonal buttresses andd slightly projecting north-east rectangular
stair turret. Embattled parapet with gargoyles to 3 corners encloses
pyramidal roof with ornamental brass weathercock. Two-light trefoil-
headed openings to belfry with small lancet to second stage on south;
west window of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery above. Segmental-
headed west doorway has hoodmould and nail-studded door. Vaulted canopy
for former statue has bracket beneath to string course of second stage,
which is carved with a female figure holding a shield with a cross upon
it. Nave: north side buttressed in 2 unequal bays with heavily restored
2-light C14 window immediately to west of buttress and pointed triple-
chamfered C14 doorway reused when this section of wall was rebuilt in
mid-C17; section to east rebuilt 1716: see datestone inscribed "EDWARD
KYNASTON/SAMUEL HAMPTON/CHURCHWARDENS/1716". C15 south aisle buttressed
in 3 bays has 2 broad 3-light windows with 4-centred arches on south
and one on west with a similar window of 4 lights to east; all have
head stops, that to west on south with 2 heads to one stop. Timber
framed porch in west bay dated 1656 with name of Nicholas Dickin, churchwarden,
in raised lettering to lintel, considerably restored with sandstone
ashlar side walls. Heavily restored C15 south doorway has a 4-centred
arch under a square label with spandrels; massive nail-studded double
doors and a C18 royal coat-of-arms above on outside. Short one-bay
chancel has C15 window on south, similar to those in aisle, and a contemporary
narrow doorway with 2-centred arch to west. Restored 2-light trefoil-
headed window on north with armorial shield to apex and east window
of 3 lights with reticulated tracery, hoodmould and head stops. Interior:
pointed tower arch with moulded capitals C15 but chancel arch with corbelled
responds and carved heads is C19. Three-bay C15 south arcade with C19
round-arched, and octagonal piers replacing oak columns inserted after
damage in Civil War. Main feature is mid-C17 arch-braced collar-beam
roof to nave: carved pendant knobs, single tiers of ogee-curved windbraces
and miniature hammerbeams, which have shields bearing arms of local
families except to north-west, which has carved grotesque face. Similar
but less elaborate roof to aisle. Late C19 octagonal font but large
basin nearby is probably medieval. Panelled pulpit is probably early
C18 and some contemporary panelling has been reused in C19 pews and
organ gallery. C17 oak chest in front of north door and C19 board recording
benefactions of Mary Griffiths of Woodgate (q.v.) to parish. Late C19
stained glass in various windows throughout. Monuments: C18 and C19
wall tablets and memorials to various members of local families throughout
church; C18 funerary hatchments in chancel (north wall) and aisle (south wall).
The church was granted to Wombridge Priory (Herefs) c.1190. In 1643
it was held by Parliamentarian forces but was subsequently stormed and
taken by the Royalists, considerable damage being caused in the process.
B.O.E., pp.174-5; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9
(1908), pp.760-62.

Listing NGR: SJ4716029275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.