History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Loppington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8584 / 52°51'30"N

Longitude: -2.7856 / 2°47'8"W

OS Eastings: 347199

OS Northings: 329283

OS Grid: SJ471292

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.RV68

Mapcode Global: WH8B1.5FR0

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260500

Location: Loppington, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Loppington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Loppington St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Myddle

Listing Text

LOPPINGTON C.P. LOPPINGTON
SJ 4629-4729
15/45 Church Farmhouse
-
GV II
Farmhouse. Circa 1664, possibly incorporating parts of an earlier building;
later additions and alterations. Timber framed and small red bricks
(mixed English and Flemish bonds), former material almost completely
replaced by late C18 red brick; machine tile roofs with coped verges
on carved stone kneelers. L-plan with hall range to right and cross-
wing of 3 framed bays projecting to rear. One storey and attic with
dentilled eaves cornice to hall range, 3 storeys to cross-wing with
continuous floor bands. Early C19 casement-fenestration, mainly with
leaded lights, 2 with segmental heads to ground floor of hall range
and one to timber framed half dormer to left; one on each floor to front
gable of cross-wing, those on ground and first floors segmental-headed.
Entrance to far left of hall range through C17 plank and muntin door
with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges in moulded wooden doorcase with
C19 gabled hood. Prominent red brick ridge stack immediately to left
at junction with cross-wing has 3 attached and rebated shafts; late
C18 integral end stack to right of hall range. Large half-dormer to
hall range has date "1664" on jettied bressumer which has ogee stops;
carved corner brackets and V-struts from collar. Timber framed lean-
to dairy with red brick infill to rear on right of hall range is probably
contemporary with main house. Small C19 gabled brick wash-house to
rear of cross-wing. Interior: main ground-floor room of hall range
has massive chamfered cross-beam ceiling with horizontal braces to centre,
partly infilled inglenook fireplace; wall with room to right timber
framed. This room has timber framed back wall with C17 rectangular
oak panelling to end and front walls. Panelled and plank and muntin
doors with wooden latches throughout. Dog-leg staircase in cross-
wing rising to attic has moulded handrail, stick balusters and pointed
knobs to angles. Collar and tie beam roof to hall range and queen-
post roof in 3 bays with straight windbraces to cross-wing.


Listing NGR: SJ4719829283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.