History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bletchley Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton Say, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.898 / 52°53'52"N

Longitude: -2.5634 / 2°33'48"W

OS Eastings: 362198

OS Northings: 333541

OS Grid: SJ621335

Mapcode National: GBR 7R.PFVT

Mapcode Global: WH9C2.LFK5

Entry Name: Bletchley Manor

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260409

Location: Moreton Say, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Moreton Say

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Moreton Say St Margaret Antioch

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longford

Listing Text

SJ 63 SW MORETON SAY C.P. BLETCHLEY

8/104 Bletchley Manor

GV II

Farmhouse. Mid-C17 with late C19 alterations and additions. Rendered
timber frame with C19 planted timbers to front and rear wall refaced
or rebuilt in painted brick. Painted brick additon, with painted imitation
framing to front. 3-span plain tile roof with gables to front. Two
C17 parallel ranges of 2 framed bays with later addition to south-west.
2 storeys and attic with addition of 2 storeys. North-west front:
brick stack in left-hand valley, brick end stack to central range and
right-hand addition with 2 external lateral brick stacks. 3-window
front; C18 glazing bar sashes to left with exposed boxes; 3-light wooden
attic casements. Right-hand addition with first-floor wooden cross
window and ground-floor 6-pane sash. Central C19 half-glazed door
(2 flush panels and 9-panes) with moulded architrave and C19 gabled
timber framed porch. Left-hand return front: c.1700 ground-and first-
floor leaded wooden cross windows. Attached outbuilding (now garage)
with large tapered square external brick end stack. Interior: exposed square-panel
framing (first floor) with short corner braces and wattle and daub infill (horsehair and straw).
Many surviving mid-to late C17 fixtures and fittings. Left-hand ground-floor front
room has C17 or C17-style oak panelling with moulded cornice, moulded
beam, and fireplace with bolection-moulded surround and moulded cornice.
Door with 7 raised and fielded panels and H-L hinges. Ground-floor
left-hand rear room with deep-chamfered beam. Late C17 staircase with
closed string, large turned balusters,moulded handrail and square newel
post. Left-hand first-floor front room with painted C17 panelling,
chamfered beam, and fireplace with bolection-moulded surround and moulded
cornice. Of two-bay roofs with single purlins, straight wind braces
and doorways with chamfered reveals. C17 and C18 panelled doors and
old oak boards throughout. Heraldic stained glass, Hill and Forster,
1639.


Listing NGR: SJ6219833541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.