This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9241 / 52°55'26"N
Longitude: -2.5704 / 2°34'13"W
OS Eastings: 361748
OS Northings: 336452
OS Grid: SJ617364
Mapcode National: GBR 7R.MS5F
Mapcode Global: WH9BW.HR6N
Entry Name: Pool Cottage
Listing Date: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260417
Location: Moreton Say, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Moreton Say
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Calverhall (or Corra) Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. MORETONWOOD
5/112 Pool Cottage
Shown on O.S. map as Pool House.
Estate lodge. Dated 1872, probably by William Eden Nesfield. Timber
framed with plastered infill panels on red brick plinth, and brick painted
in imitation of framing. Fishscale tile-hung gables and fishscale tile
roof, hipped to south-east. Irregular T-plan. One storey and attic.
South-west (garden) front: chamfered plinth and coved eaves. Roof
with lead rolls and globe finials at apex of hip and gables. Brick
ridge stack at junction of 2 ranges and external lateral brick stack
to rear , each consisting of a pair of star-shaped shafts with oversailing
tops. Left-hand gabled wing has ground-floor canted bay with 2-:3-:
2-light wooden mullioned and transomed window,jettied attic with roll-moulded
bressumer and end brackets, attic oriel consisting of 3-light wooden
mullioned and transomed window with hipped roof and coved base with
shaped end brackets, and jettied gable with a series of small brackets
supporting a roll-moulded tie-beam and wall plates with shaped ends.
Lower bressumer dated: "JP & AM / 1872". Right-hand range with small
2-light attic casement beneath eaves to left and ground-floor 3-light
wooden mullioned and transomed window to right. Boarded door in angle
of wing to left with roll-moulded surround and lean-to timber framed
porch consisting of polygonal-arched entrance, chamfered arched braces
with carved spandrels, carved bracket supporting wall plate to right
and 4 ogee-headed side lights. 2 seats within. Right-hand gable
end: full-height gabled square bay with 1-:4-:1- light
mullioned and transomed ground-floor window, slightly jettied attic
storey with roll-moulded bressumer and small brackets, 4-light mullioned
and transomed attic window and shaped brackets supporting wall plates.
Left-hand return front: ground-floor 3-light wooden casement to left
and eaves dormer with bracketed gable and 3-light wooden casement.
Boarded back door at rear with moulded surround and rectangular overlight.
Interior not inspected. Nesfield designed Cloverley Hall (see Ightfield
C.P.) nearby, built in 1864-70 but now demolished. This lodge and
The Haven (q.v.) are attributed to him on stylistic grounds. B.o.E.,
p. 107; Jill Franklin, The Gentleman's Country House and its Plan 1835-
1914, p. 211.
Listing NGR: SJ6174836452
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings