History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7 and 8, Shavington Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9508 / 52°57'2"N

Longitude: -2.5414 / 2°32'29"W

OS Eastings: 363720

OS Northings: 339404

OS Grid: SJ637394

Mapcode National: GBR 7S.L168

Mapcode Global: WH9BW.X3Z5

Entry Name: 7 and 8, Shavington Park

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260422

Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Adderley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Audlem

Listing Text

SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. SHAVINGTON PARK

SJ 6372 3940 Nos. 7 and 8

5/117
II

Pair of estate cottages. Circa 1903, probably by Ernest Newton.
Red brick with tile-hung attic and pebbledashed porches with tile-hung
gables. Plain tile roof, hipped over rear wings. U-plan. One storey
and attic. South-east (garden) front: central brick ridge stack and
brick ridge stacks at junctions of porches and cross wings, each of
square section with 2 triagular-section projections on each face. Plain
barge boards, pegged over purlin ends. Pair of gabled wings with recessed
ground floor (not in line with gables) between, and flush attic with
central raking semi dormer. 4-window front; 5-light leaded wooden
casements (paired 4-light to dormer), those to ground floor with gauged-
brick heads. Left-and right-hand return fronts: ground-floor 3-and5-
light leaded wooden casements. Central 2-storey porch with open ground-
floor consisting of 2 square oak posts supporting corner brackets and
moulded bressumer; first-floor 4-light leaded wooden casement. Stone
step up to boarded door with small window to-one side. Rear: wings
with 5-light leaded wooden attic casements and catslide roofs each side
of hip descending over set-back outshuts. One storey brick service
block projecting between rear wings with hipped roof and catslide over
outshut at end. Roofed passageways between wings and outbuilding leading
to half-glazed back doors. Interiors not inspected. These cottages
have been attributed (Saint) to Richard Norman Shaw who carried out
work at Shavington Hall (demolished 1959) in 1885-6. Stylistically,
however, they appear more likely to be the work of Ernest Newton who
worked at Shavington in 1903. Andrew Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, pp.241-
3 and p.430.


Listing NGR: SJ6372039404

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.