History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bettoncoppice Turnover Bridge (Number 67)

A Grade II Listed Building in Norton in Hales, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9391 / 52°56'20"N

Longitude: -2.4913 / 2°29'28"W

OS Eastings: 367077

OS Northings: 338081

OS Grid: SJ670380

Mapcode National: GBR 7V.LTLN

Mapcode Global: WH9BX.PDV5

Entry Name: Bettoncoppice Turnover Bridge (Number 67)

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056070

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260444

Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Adderley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Market Drayton

Listing Text

NORTON IN HALES C.P.

SJ 63 NE

6/138

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

Bettoncoppice Turnover Bridge (Number 67)

II

Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Dressed red/grey sandstone with tooled dressings. Accommodation bridge combined with roving towpath bridge. Elliptical arch with voussoirs and flush keystone. Humped-back shape with chamfered string course and parapet with square end piers (to north only) and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. The towpath part of the bridge is divided from the accommodation part by a stone wall and is approached by ramps from the south. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with grooves caused by rope haulage. C20 oval metal number plate to south.

This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835) which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19 September 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.