This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9029 / 52°54'10"N
Longitude: -2.4853 / 2°29'7"W
OS Eastings: 367451
OS Northings: 334049
OS Grid: SJ674340
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.P2T1
Mapcode Global: WH9C3.S9PF
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Last Amended: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260375
Location: Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Market Drayton
Built-Up Area: Market Drayton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Market Drayton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 6634-6734 MARKET DRAYTON C.P. SHROPSHIRE STREET
13/71 No. 41 (The Old House)
7.5.52 (Formerly listed as No 41)
House. Circa 1680-1700 with late C18 addition at rear. Red brick
with plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attic over basement. Plinth, plat
band, painted moulded wooden eaves cornice and parapeted gable ends with
integral brick end stacks. Pair of dormers with triangular pedimented
gables and leaded 2-light wooden-framed metal casements. 2:1:2 bays
with central break; 8-pane glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes and gauged
brick heads (dummy in second bay from left). Central break rising above cornice
with semi-circular parapeted gable and attic glazing bar sash with exposed
box, and plat band above; pitched roof behind with moulded eaves cornice.
Segmental-beaded 2-light wooden-framed leaded metal casements to basement.
Central door with 6 raised and fielded panels, radial fanlight and early
C19 wooden doorcase consisting of fluted pilasters, entablature with lattic
ornament, and triangular pediment. Flight of 7 semi-circular grey sandstone
steps. Rear: 3 storeys. One hipped leaded dormer with moulded cornice.
Late C18 rear wing (see straight joint) with 2 plat bands and integral
lateral brick stack to south-west. Segmental-headed 16-pane glazing
bar sash and leaded attic cross window to rear. Interior: c.1680-1700.
Oak staircase: dog-leg with landings,closed string, turned balusters,
moulded handrail, and moulded square newel posts. Continues with balustrade
to attic. Left-hand ground-floor room: now part of entrance hall (dividing
wall removed in late C20 and left-hand staircase balustrade added).
Corner fireplace with bolection-moulded wooden surround. Right-hand
ground-floor room: mainly c.1680-1700 fittings. Bolection-moulded oak
panelling with dado rail and moulded cornice. Fireplace has C20 bolection-
moulded wooden surround with panel over. Windows with bolection-moulded
surrounds, panelled reveals and seats. 6-panelled doors with L-H hinges
and bolection-moulded surrounds. First-floor landing with c.1680-1700
painted imitation bolection panelling (red/brown with shading). Right-
hand first-floor bedroom: c.1680-70 bolection-moulded panelling with
dado rail and deep moulded cornice. Plain moulded fireplace surround.
Attic with c.1700 panelled doors. Basement: former kitchen to right
has large open fireplace with wooden lintel. Former scullery to left
with slop sink and sluice; present kitchen in rear wing has large open
fireplace with large (probably reused) wooden lintel, a pair of C18 panelled
doors with lugged architraves, and three C18 cupboards with shaped heads
and drawers below. The sashes in the second bay from the left appear
always to have been dummies because they are obstructed by internal walls.
Listing NGR: SJ6745134049
Other nearby listed buildings