History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Merriott, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9063 / 50°54'22"N

Longitude: -2.7921 / 2°47'31"W

OS Eastings: 344399

OS Northings: 112166

OS Grid: ST443121

Mapcode National: GBR MG.R8F8

Mapcode Global: FRA 561Q.21G

Entry Name: Court Mill

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Last Amended: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056116

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262382

Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA16

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Merriott

Built-Up Area: Merriott

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Merriott

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George

Listing Text

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP LOWER STREET (South side, off)

9/132 Court Mill
(formerly listed as Court Mills
Mill)

4.2.58

GV II

Former mill, coverted into house. Later C18/early C19, modified later C20. Ham stone near-ashlar; plain clay tiled roof
between stepped coped gables; stone chimney stack. Two storeys with attic, 3-bay north elevation. Plain mullioned
windows with beaded surrounds and shallow architraves, with some C20 replacements, 3-light to both floors in bay 1,
2-lights to both floors bay; 16-pane deep sash window to front floor bay 2. To right of lower bay 1 doorway in matching
surround, lower bay 2 blind but with indications of former building abutting, and lower bay 3 has a matching
single-storey lean-to. East gable, which also includes the end of a rear outshut, has a C20 door and matching windows
to ground and first floor, with an earlier 3-light window to attic. Interior not seen. Mill first recorded by 1573, but
know by implication from 1556; it ceased grinding in the 1930s. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p58).


Listing NGR: ST4439912166

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.