This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9081 / 50°54'29"N
Longitude: -2.8296 / 2°49'46"W
OS Eastings: 341770
OS Northings: 112400
OS Grid: ST417124
Mapcode National: GBR MD.R4Z4
Mapcode Global: FRA 46YP.ZDD
Entry Name: Wyatt's Court (Hinton House)
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262326
Location: Hinton St. George, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Hinton St. George
Built-Up Area: Hinton St George
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK
7/74 Nos 1 to 7
(inclusive) Wyatt's Court
(formerly listed as part of
Hinton House and Stables)
The former stable court and riding house to Hinton House (qv). Late C18, by Sir John Soane, continued by James Wyatt
for Earl Poulett, modified in later C20. Ham stone ashlar, parts carefully carved to look like cobbles; concrete slate
roofs behind parapets; ashlar chimney stacks. 'L' plan, 2 storeys. West facade of 9 bays, the end bays set higher.
Plinth, cobbled face walling to ground floor and outer bays at first floor level, string courses, battlemented
parapets. End bays have 12-pane sashes both levels, the central bays have 6-pane sashes to first floor and 12-pane to
ground floors, in plain openings or plain ashlar surrounds when set in 'cobbles'. To lower bay 5 a pair of wide doors
in large keystoned architrave under moulded flat hood on large console brackets; new entrances to nos 2 and 3.
Rainwater stackheads have Poulett arms, and dates 1791, 1795 and 1910. South elevation of 10 bays to match, with one
matching return bay, with 2 upper windows, southwards to Hinton House. Across the north side of the former stable
courtyard a battlemented ashlar wall about 4.5 metres high, with plinth and moulded string on north side: this screens
C20 garages on south side. All elevations to interior of courtyard modified in late 1960s/early 1970s, but no 7 retains
two Gothic revival windows. Interiors not seen but thought to be substantially altered. Range has important group value
with Hinton House. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, pp41-44).
Listing NGR: ST4121810869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings