This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9083 / 50°54'29"N
Longitude: -2.8308 / 2°49'50"W
OS Eastings: 341685
OS Northings: 112422
OS Grid: ST416124
Mapcode National: GBR MD.R4N6
Mapcode Global: FRA 46YP.YVH
Entry Name: Statue of Diana the Huntress, About 80 Metres West of Wyatt's Court
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262328
Location: Hinton St. George, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Hinton St. George
Civil Parish/community: Hinton St George
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK
7/76 Statue of Diana the Huntress,
about 80 metres west of Wyatt's
(formerly listed as Statue in
Hinton Park about half-mile W. of
Statue, 1704. Ham stone base, Portland stone statue. Circular base about 1 metre in diameter and about 4 metres high,
with moulded plinth and cornice and step top: the figure of Diana looking westward, with her right arm bent back over
her shoulder to pull an arrow from her sheath, with a stag rampant on the south side. A plaque at the base records that
this statue, originally one mile to the west, and relocated to half a mile to the west of the house, was restored and
re-erected on its present site in 1984. The date 1704 given on the plaque, but it has been suggested, with some
justification stylistically, that it may be c1766, at which time the then Earl Poulett realigned the road north of the
estate and improved the landscaping west of Hinton House (qv): the statue was then surrounded by a double ring of lime
trees. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p40).
Listing NGR: ST4168512422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings