History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stables and Coach House About 20 Metres South East of Avishays

A Grade II Listed Building in Chaffcombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8789 / 50°52'44"N

Longitude: -2.9218 / 2°55'18"W

OS Eastings: 335242

OS Northings: 109227

OS Grid: ST352092

Mapcode National: GBR M8.SZJF

Mapcode Global: FRA 46RS.CHF

Entry Name: Former Stables and Coach House About 20 Metres South East of Avishays

Listing Date: 30 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262135

Location: Chaffcombe, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chaffcombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Chaffcombe

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Chard

Listing Text

CHAFFCOMBE CP WHITEMOOR HILL (West side Off)
ST30NE
4/8 Former stables and coach house
about 20 metres south-east of
Avishays

GV II

Stables and coach house now garage and garden store. C18, possibly 1759, as it matches the dated north wing of
Avishays (qv). Red brick in Flemish bond, with Ham stone ashlar dressings; hipped Welsh slate roofs. 'L'-plan, single
storey, 5 bays x 3 bays, one bay deep. West elevation facing house has plinth, rusticated quoins; the two outer bays
have beaded mullioned and transomed 2-light windows in shallow architraves, and between them a pair of 5 panel doors in
matching architrave with pediment hood on console brackets. North elevation of return wing of 5 bays, with matching
windows to bays 2, 4 and 5; stable doors bay 1 and carriage doors bay 3, these last having cast iron and glass canopy:
to side of this doorway a pump with lead spout box dated 1724. Part of the setting to a distinguished C13 house: the
interiors not seen.


Listing NGR: ST3524209227

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.