History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beechfield House

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Cary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0903 / 51°5'25"N

Longitude: -2.5112 / 2°30'40"W

OS Eastings: 364294

OS Northings: 132459

OS Grid: ST642324

Mapcode National: GBR MV.CMKM

Mapcode Global: FRA 56M7.PHK

Entry Name: Beechfield House

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Last Amended: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262051

Location: Castle Cary, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Castle Cary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Castle Cary

Listing Text

CASTLE CARY CP UPPER HIGH STREET (North side)
ST6432
6/118 Beechfield House
(formerly listed as Villa Cary)
24.3.61
GV II

Detached house. Mid/late C18. Cary stone rubble, rendered facade with Doulting stone dressings; steep pitch hipped clay
pantiled roof; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys with attic; 5 bays, of which centre bay is wider and projects
slightly. Plinth, rusticated quoins, eaves course, central pediment: 12-pane sash windows in architraves, architraves
flat- headed but tops of windows segmental arched; large margined window upper bay 3, replacing a pair of composite
windows; oeil-de-boeuf window in pediment; to lower bay 3 a 6-panel door with glazed toplights, in beaded surround,
with pediment hood on console brackets. Sundry extensions to rear, mostly C19, forming link with, and absorbing, former
detached coach house. Interior not seen, but it is known to have been gutted by fire in 1881. Owned by the Clarke
family from c1760 and known then as The Villa, it was regularly visited by diarist Parson Woodforde and John Wesley,
who often stayed there: it was purchased by John Boyd in 1864 to enable the further expansion of the Ansford Factory
from the grounds of next-door Ochiltree House (qv). (McGarvie M, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).


Listing NGR: ST6429432459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.