History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle Cary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0867 / 51°5'12"N

Longitude: -2.5166 / 2°30'59"W

OS Eastings: 363916

OS Northings: 132055

OS Grid: ST639320

Mapcode National: GBR MV.CS80

Mapcode Global: FRA 56M7.TN2

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261982

Location: Castle Cary, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Castle Cary

Built-Up Area: Castle Cary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Castle Cary

Listing Text

CASTLE CARY CP CHURCH STREET (West side)
ST6332
5/49 Church of All Saints
24.3.61
GV II*
Anglican Parish Church. Saxon origins, main church c1470, heavily restored by Benjamin Ferrey 1851-1855. Tower of Cary
stone cut and squared, remainder lias stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate and sheet lead
roofs behind battlemented parapets. Six-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave, north and south aisles, and north and
south transepts; additional north-east corner vestry, north and south porches, and west tower with spire. Chancel has
double plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses; east window a 4-light C19 version of C15 tracery under arched label
with headstops; to south a 3-light C15 traceried window set in hollowed pointed-arch recess without label, and to north
similar window partly obscured by vestry; this generally matches but has plain parapet, and in its north wall a 3-light
traceried flat-arched window with moulded arched doorway to west, both without labels. Nave visible as the clerestorey,
with 3-light C15 traceried windows in 4-centre arched hollowed recesses without labels. North transept and north aisle
of C19 character, with bay buttresses, and angled corner buttresses to transept; 3-light C19 versions of the nave
windows in north walls; in west wall a 2-light window to match. North porch totally C19; simple C15 style outer arch
with empty canopied statue niche over, and pointed moulded inner arch, with inner doorway in south-east corner to
octagonal stair turret leading to parvise. South aisle and transept to match, but the aisle incorporates older work;
south porch of ashlar, 2 storeys, with corner buttresses with gargoyles at head, battlemented parapet; C15 style outer
arch and moulded pointed inner arch with a possibly C15 door; first floor reached by north-east octagonal stair turret,
and has 2 C14 style small traceried windows without labels flanking a canopied statue niche in which is set a medieval
wooden figure. Tower in 3 stages, with low bottom stage; offset corner buttresses ending in crocketted pinnacles;
double plinth, string courses, open-traceried battlemented parapets with gargoyles under; tall spire with carved middle
band and weathervane finial, having crocketted and pinnacled gablets at bases of principal faces to small windows;
south-east corner has octagonal stair turret with stepped stone roof 2 stages high: bottom stage plain: stage 2 has a
4-light C19 traceried west window in a C15 style with pointed arched label, with a thin lancet window set above; on
north and south faces are single- light cusped rectangular windows; to stage 3 all round are 2-light C15 style
traceried windows with diagonal traceried stone baffles under stilted arched labels extended as an additional string
course; clock faces to north and south. Inside, chancel mostly C19 and C20, with double arch-truss traceried roof
frame; traceried reredos, and ogee arched doorway to vestry; arches to transepts and nave C15 style, but probably
recut. Nave has C15 arcade with 4-shaft and hollow columns, but roof is a C19 traceried king-post type. Aisles have
moulded rib-and-panel ceilings, probably all C19 work. Tower arch very tall, plain double chamfered; corbel offsets to
tracery-panelled timber roof. Fittings include a C15 style timber pulpit, almost totally C19 but possibly with some
original fragments; C15 octagonal font with double quatrefoil panels each face of bowl, foilage carved coving and
traceried panelled shaft. Several C17 Keinton stone slab memorials in nave floor nicely incised, and four C18 marble
plaque memorials in tower. Stained glass in east window by O'Connor, 1855, and in west window by Powell and Sons, 1864.
First recorded rector 1269. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and Vest Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST6391632055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.