This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0913 / 51°5'28"N
Longitude: -2.5163 / 2°30'58"W
OS Eastings: 363939
OS Northings: 132566
OS Grid: ST639325
Mapcode National: GBR MV.CD9L
Mapcode Global: FRA 56M7.FJ7
Entry Name: St John's Priory
Listing Date: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262001
Location: Castle Cary, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Castle Cary
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CASTLE CARY CP GREENWAY ROAD (East side)
St. John's Priory
Detached house. 1877. Built for J S Donne, of the Flax Mills family, designed by
Charles Bell. Doulting and Bath stone ashlar; plain clay tile roof between coped gables,
ashlar chimney stacks with ornamental caps. Two storeys with attic, 3 bay south elevation.
Plinth, polychrome stonework; sash windows, glazing bars having semi-circular arch
design; bay 1 has single-storey projecting square bay window with flat roof, open
balustrade and corner ball finials; of 1+3+1 lights; above 3 windows grouped in
decorative false gable planted on real gable, which has segmented arched pediment at
crown, with ball finial: bay 2 has open porch recess with heavy doors in semi-circular
arch carried on non- classical columns under dentilled string, carved spandrils; plain
single window above, then rises a tower with rectangular window at attic floor level
and above a belvedere with 3 semi-circular arched windows each face, set under
lead-covered bell-hip roof with wrot-iron finial and weathervane; bay 3 has single
windows, lower under string hood, upper under carved semi-circular arch and then false
gable with semi- circular pediment and ball finial. West elevation of 5 bays to match;
angled bay window both levels bay 1 under lean-to hipped roof against ornamental coped
gable, of 1+2+1 windows; single window upper bay 2, blank below, and to both levels bays
3 and 5, each with segmental pedimented false gable over; to bay 4 a projecting chimney
stack from first level up. Later extensions to north and east not of special interest.
Interior not seen, but a mantlepiece and recess, by Reid and Co, illustrated in The
Builder 19th May 1888.
Very much a show-house, it is now the Priory of the Sisters of Jesus Crucified.
(McGarvie M, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).
Listing NGR: ST6393932566
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings