History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Market House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle Cary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0896 / 51°5'22"N

Longitude: -2.5141 / 2°30'50"W

OS Eastings: 364092

OS Northings: 132381

OS Grid: ST640323

Mapcode National: GBR MV.CLVN

Mapcode Global: FRA 56M7.NCH

Entry Name: The Market House

Listing Date: 4 February 1974

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262020

Location: Castle Cary, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Castle Cary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Castle Cary

Listing Text

CASTLE CARY CP MARKET PLACE (West side)
ST6432
6/87 The Market House
4.2.74
GV II*

Market house with other public buildings. 1855, by F.C. Penrose. Cary stone cut and
squared, with Doulting stone dressings; Delabole slate roof between stepped coped gables
crowned with small pinnacles; central lead-covered spirelet with clock-faces set
diagonally onto ridge. In a Flemish style. 'L'-plan; 3 storeys, 7-bay main facade. Open
colonnade to ground floor, with circular non-classical columns carrying chamfered
3-centred arches; then string courses to a panelled section with pointed arohed recesses
having alternately circular and triangular leaded windows; to upper storey in bays 2, 4
and 6 are hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with three 4-centre-arched lights under
flat heads without labels. North- east elevation has two open pointed arches at ground
floor; then two pairs of small rectangular windows divided by a central shaft carrying a
1+2+1 light oriel window at second floor level having chamfered mullions and transomes,
and stepped stone roof with a gable vent over. South- west elevation has an end gable,
featuring staircase windows, and a 3-bay extension to the rear to match, adjusted to
suit the slope of the hill alongside. Rear elevation has a gabled projection with
segmental arched casements at ground floor level, a single and a 2-light rectangular
window to first floor with casements, and similar windows to second floor but with
rectangular leaded-pane lights, gable vent above: sundry later extensions to fill in the
angle including a covered walkway and fire escape stairway. Erected by the Market House
Company to replace the former house of 1616, possibly reusing the old columns, in
anticipation of increased trade after the projected arrival of the railway in 1856. The
undercroft, still enclosed by wrot iron railings, was for the market, particularly for
corn, and at the rear were several cells; above were reading and news rooms and
facilities for musical entertainments (McGarvie M, Castle Cary; Avalon Industries, 1980).


Listing NGR: ST6412632378

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.