History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mortuary, in Churchyard 30 Metres North West Of, Church of St John Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Milborne Port, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9656 / 50°57'56"N

Longitude: -2.4628 / 2°27'46"W

OS Eastings: 367597

OS Northings: 118565

OS Grid: ST675185

Mapcode National: GBR MX.MFVS

Mapcode Global: FRA 56QK.JC2

Entry Name: Mortuary, in Churchyard 30 Metres North West Of, Church of St John Evangelist

Listing Date: 15 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261849

Location: Milborne Port, South Somerset, Somerset, DT9

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Milborne Port

Built-Up Area: Milborne Port

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Milborne Port

Listing Text

ST6718 MILBORNE PORT CP BATHWELL LANE (East side)

12/113 Mortuary, in churchyard 30 metres
North-West of, Church of St John
Evanglist

GV II

Mortuary. Probably 1869, and if so designed by Henry Hall. Local stone coursed rubble, ashlar dressings; plain clay
tile roof with bands of fish scale tiles, gabled on all four faces. Square plan, single storey. West elevation has
4-centre arch, posibly C18, under square label, flanked by two C15 statue niches with canopies; to gable over a
circular window and also a sculpted head. South wall has a window in a C12 style and circular window in gable, the
latter seems a re-use: similar circular window to East gable, and one of a different pattern in North gable. This
building was formed from materials and fragments of the old nave, demolished 1867-69. (E.D.B Guide to the Parish Church
of Milborne Port, 1971).


Listing NGR: ST6760018562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.