History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Headmaster's Tower, About 45 Metres North West of Old House, King's School, and Adjacent Walling to South and East

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1113 / 51°6'40"N

Longitude: -2.4546 / 2°27'16"W

OS Eastings: 368275

OS Northings: 134762

OS Grid: ST682347

Mapcode National: GBR MX.B9XY

Mapcode Global: VH8BG.DBQF

Entry Name: The Headmaster's Tower, About 45 Metres North West of Old House, King's School, and Adjacent Walling to South and East

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261623

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bruton

Listing Text

BRUTON CP PLOX (North West side)
ST6834NW
8/150 The Headmaster's Tower, about 45
metres North West of Old House,
King's School, and adjacent
walling to South and East

GV II

Gazebo/folly tower. Early C19. Red brick, probably originally rendered, with Doulting stone dressings; lead flat roofs.
In Gothic style, octagonal plan with circular stair turret on West side. 2 storeys. 4-centred arched doorways on South
West and East faces; 2-light trefoil headed unglazed windows to South face and upper East face; plinth, string course
and battlemented parapets. Wing walls of random rubble, average height 3 metres, extending some 23 metres Southwards
and 27 metres Eastwards, the latter terminating in high square ashlar pier (the building on the North East face of this
latter not included in the listing). Tower erected by Headmaster Abrahall (seved from l826-64) possibly in 1834, when
he extended the Old House (qv). The walls represent earlier boundaries to the school. The tower, appropriately, ivy
covered (September 1983). (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).


Listing NGR: ST6827534762

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.